Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 crimson talon xt (100 or 125 gr??) >

crimson talon xt (100 or 125 gr??)

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

crimson talon xt (100 or 125 gr??)

Old 08-05-2007, 12:30 PM

Default crimson talon xt (100 or 125 gr??)

hi all,
I going to buy some crimson talon XT. I'm having a old bow ( slow speed too). i'm wondering if it will be better to buy 100 or 125 gr broadheads?
I'm shooting with aluminium arrows (xx75, 2315 Easton Camo Hunter lite) with a bow at 53#

Thanks

Francis
Old 08-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: crimson talon xt (100 or 125 gr??)

The Crimson Talon heads really seem to eat up alot of Kinetic Energy because of the design. The blades on them seem to be pretty dull in comparison to other heads on the market. You stated that your bow is pretty slow, instead of going the Crimson Talon route, I would look into a good cut on contact head. Such as a Magnus Stinger. I think at slower speeds, and lower KE, you will get better preformance out of a good cut on contact broadhead.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:37 PM

It all depends on your setup. You really shouldn't just choose a weight based on preference. It should be on how your setup performs.

How is your dynamic arrow spine? Stiff? Weak?

FOC%?

Speed?

Type of Bow?

You can enter your info into OnTarget2 software and it will help you chooose your broadhead weight. Just google OnTarget2 or Pinwheel software. If you choose to do this, get your bow chrono'd so you have accurate data in your software.

Best of Luck!
Old 08-05-2007, 12:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

The Crimson Talon heads really seem to eat up alot of Kinetic Energy because of the design. The blades on them seem to be pretty dull in comparison to other heads on the market. You stated that your bow is pretty slow, instead of going the Crimson Talon route, I would look into a good cut on contact head. Such as a Magnus Stinger. I think at slower speeds, and lower KE, you will get better preformance out of a good cut on contact broadhead.
I'm already having Thunderhead (125gr) should i use them?
They will do a better job then the crimson talon... I'm new in the bowhunting science () and i'm learning that it's pretty hard to make a decision

Francis
Old 08-05-2007, 01:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Francis_Qc

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

I'm already having Thunderhead (125gr) should i use them?
They will do a better job then the crimson talon... I'm new in the bowhunting science () and i'm learning that it's pretty hard to make a decision

Francis
If you have them, shoot em and see how they fly.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Thunderheads should work just fine. The 2315's are probably on the stiff side and the 125 heads should work better and give a little more KE and Momentum than the 100's with your bow.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:57 PM

An other question[8D]
I'll receive my "The Block 4X4" tuesday.
Do you think that the crimson talon xtwill be harder to remove of the block (because of the curved blades) and do more damage to it (in comparison to straight blades (ex.: thunderhead))

Thanks!

Francis
Old 08-05-2007, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, it will probably do more damage and be harder to remove.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Crimson talons are pretty easy to remove from targets. You just have to let them spin a little on their way out. Other than that they are no more difficult to remove than any other broadhead.

On another note I have not found them to eat up any more speed or KE than any other tip. I did find that they fly better with 3 feathers and not4 like my other arrows. The Crimson Talons shoot just like the Slick Tricks. They hit the same spots from 45 yards and in.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Allright,

I am now qualified to chime in. I just bought Crimson Talon XTs and shot them this weekend.
Brucelanthier is dead on. In short, they rock.

(1) They flew exactly like my field tips. I only shot out to 30 yards, but I was hitting the
3" spot on the Block. I was really impressed with the flight. Had someone watching and said
trajectory was perfect. BTW, I shot 100 grain with 3 3" Blazers on GT XT Hunter 5575.

(2) The fact that they flew just like my field tips tells me they are not losing much KE.

(3) They are easy to take out of the target (a Block). As you pull them out they will rotate about
90 degrees. If you just let them rotate out it was about as easy to pull out as my field tips.

(4) The fact that it rotated about 90 degrees in a Block tells me it will do the same or likely
worse to a deer.

I know they look gimmicky and that is one thing that kept me from wanting to shoot them,
but they are a great flying head and I can't see how they wouldn't do some serious damage.

On the spin issue, I don't think they spin the arrow quickly like a Quick-Spin vane, but instead
create a slower rotation,
maybe that's why there appears to be little speed/energy loss. But I'm just speculating here.

Quick Reply: crimson talon xt (100 or 125 gr??)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.