Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Stil Skeptical on Expandables... >

Stil Skeptical on Expandables...

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Stil Skeptical on Expandables...

Old 07-18-2007, 06:53 PM
Banned

Default Stil Skeptical on Expandables...

Do these things work, i was thinking about buying a few just to shoot some fawns with. I cant trust them.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stil Skeptical on Expandables...

They absolutely work. I have been using them for 5 years now. The only reason I would consider not using them is if I had to shoot thru netting in a ground blind.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Banned

Which ones do you recomend, because i saw some Eastmans, 3 for 15$.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Being skeptical about modern mechs would be foolish , they've clearly proven to be exceptional products as long as you select one of the quality offerings on the market. Mechs like the Rocket Steelhead have earned a reputation as not only outstanding mechs, but kings of penetration and accuracy even when compared head to head with ANY fixed blade. They have won numerous pentration tests comparedwith any head in the industry. I've personally never shot a more devastating b-head! Dozens of deer have fallen to a Steelhead on the end of my arrows and EVERY one has been a total passthough and not a single animal has taken more then 60 yards on me. Worth mentioning is the fact that some of the deer have weighed over 300# and shots have been from 15 to 42 yards, the results have always been the same..... awesome!
Old 07-18-2007, 08:43 PM

I haven't really come to trust them yet. Only experience on game has been with the NAP Spitfire - mixed results. I'm going to hunt mainly with the G5 Montec this season and carry some Rage 2 blade expandables if a long shot comes up.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:02 PM

ORIGINAL: ReflexKiller

Do these things work, i was thinking about buying a few just to shoot some fawns with. I cant trust them.
If you don't trust them, then why would you use them period? Of course they work, they've been proven time and time again. Not out of a little anemic pencil throwin' setup like mine, but from more robust setups with ample arrow speed and weight.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

If it has moving parts then it is prone to failure. Period, endof story.

Having said that, there are a number of good mechanical broadheads on the market that have very good reputations for sharp blades, good strength, reliability, etc... etc...but a fixed blade head is still the way to go IMHO.They are stronger, many fly as good or better than mechanicals, there are no moving parts to fail, etc... etc...
Old 07-19-2007, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Me personelly, i wouldnt risk it, i wouldnt take even a chance of failure.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

If it has moving parts then it is prone to failure. Period, endof story.

Having said that, there are a number of good mechanical broadheads on the market that have very good reputations for sharp blades, good strength, reliability, etc... etc...but a fixed blade head is still the way to go IMHO.They are stronger, many fly as good or better than mechanicals, there are no moving parts to fail, etc... etc...
Believe it or not a fixed head can fail also. I've had Muzzy's fail, I've had the tip bendstraight over and blades break hitting bone and broke blades on may other fixed head blades so lets get this idea out of everybodys head that fixed heads don't fail.

Another thing is lets not get carried away in regards of fixed heads flying better than a good expandable.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Believe it or not a fixed head can fail also.
I never said a fixed blade can't fail.I meantexactly what I typed.Anything that has movng partsis prone to failure.

Of course anything can be broken, I can break an anvil ifI really wanted to,but the more moving parts any given object has the more prone to failure it is. Period!

Another thing is lets not get carried away in regards of fixed heads flying better than a good expandable.
I also didn't didn't get "carried away" and say that all fixed blades heads will fly better than all mechanicals ro vice versa.

Imeant exactlywhat I typed..... Many fixed blade heads will fly as good or better than mechanical heads.

There are a whole bunch of fixed blade heads that will fly as good as mechanicals. Slick Trick, NAP nitron, Magnus stinger, G5 montec and striker just to name a few. Far too many people have tested good fixed blade heads against mechanicals to dispute it.

Quick Reply: Stil Skeptical on Expandables...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.