Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

summit treestand

Old 07-14-2007, 02:56 PM

Default summit treestand

ok i was wandering if anyone has got a chance to shoot out of the summit 180 and if they like it or not ok any help will be appricated
Old 07-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: summit treestand

I hunted with mine last year. Only with a rifle though. The stand is fantastic. It carries vey well. I had a hard time climing. I could only take short leg pulls but coming down it was a great. I put two tether lines on each side of the platform and pulled the platform up as I was climing to get more travel up the tree. This worked really well.
The seat even at its highest position will have you sitting into the stand. To bow hunt out of this stand maybe a problem because you must maintain a closer seperation between the seat frame and the platform. So when you sit you may find your knees much higher than normal. Not comfortable for an extended hunt. If you do not have this seperation you could hit a bow limb or cam against the stand and miss your target. But all that said this is a fine stand and I will be using it again during my rifle hunts. Good luck.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:10 PM
Fork Horn

I hada Summit for afew years and finally gave it away to a friend of mine. It was way to heavy and by the time I got to my tree and then climbed it I was covered head to toe in sweat. Deer don't like human BO that much. I switched to a Lone Wolf Alpha Sit & Climb Combo. It weighs only 18 pounds (a good 14 pounds less than my Summit). The base is made of some kind of plastic that is very light and makes almost no sound when your standing on it. It also has a built in Bow Rest in the base. I only had one probelm with the Lone Wolf and that was when one of the seat clips broke. It was on the outer edge of the seat so it made sitting for 7+ hours a tad bit uncomfortable. I called the manufacturer after my trip and they immediately sent me an entire new seat (not just a replacement clip). Any company with that kind of customer care will get my business every time. Now the price for the Lone Wolf line is by no means cheap. The Alpha runs $359 (I think it wa closer to $500 when I purchased mine when they first came out) but when you get up in your tree and your body is not oozing sweat you'll be glad you made the investment. Remeber, bow hunting is only 10% shooting. It's 90% getting close to the deer and you can't do that with a squeeky stand that makes you sweat just using it.

Good Luck this season.

http://www.lonewolfstands.com/shoppingcart/Products/Alpha-Sit-and-Climb-Combo__SACCSH.aspx
Old 07-22-2007, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

3stone, I don't want to discount your experiences... all of us have preferences when it comes to bowhunting, but let's make sure we're comparing apples to apples here. Summit's Viper SS, which would be comparable to the Lone Wolf Sit n' Climb (it has a solid front bar for easy sit-and-stand climbing) only weighs 20 lbs. That's only two pounds more -- not 14. Maybe you had one of the older steel Summits from 10 years ago...

I've owned a couple Lone Wolfs. They're nice, and I killed deer out of them -- but I'll take that plush you-better-watch-it-or-you'll-fall-asleep comfort of the Summits any day by giving up a measly two pounds.

And if it's extreme light weight someone's after in a Summit, their Open Shot barely tips the scales at a paltry 14 pounds -- a 1/2 pound lighter than Lone Wolf's similiar offering.

Again, not trying to say one is better than the other; all of us bowhunters have our own preferences. But for those who might happen to stumble across this thread, I just wanted to make sure accurate information is conveyed -- or perhaps "more current" information.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:09 AM

My summit openshot weighs in at 14 pounds and I love it also easy to use. Ron
Old 07-24-2007, 09:16 AM

Sorry Greg I guess I should have read on to the next one before repeating the weight on the openshot I think also they make a bushmaster or buckmaster that is 18 pounds dont they. Ron