Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Hoyt Bows>????

Old 10-04-2008, 09:27 PM

Default Hoyt Bows>????

Does anybody shoot the Hoyt AlphaTec Bow or any Hoyt Bows?? I want to know if there good or not because my friend has one for sale and I don't really know much about bows. I think this is my chance to get into bowhunting if I buy it. Any answers will help thanks!
Old 10-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hoyt Bows>????

I dont know much about the AlphaTec in particular, but Hoyt makes a top notch product. They are one of the top of the line brands.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:29 PM

ORIGINAL: scooterdo75

Hoyt makes a top notch product. They are one of the top of the line brands.
X2
Old 10-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Spike

X3, cant go wrong with a hoyt! Tough as nails!
Old 10-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

I love my havotec
Old 10-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Typical Buck

That Alphatec is a pretty old bow if I'm not mistaken. I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong. Of course everything depends on your budget, but if you can save up and look for a more current used model, that would be the way to go. You can finid some nice deals in the classifieds on archerytalk.com, or even at this point of the year, dealers will want to dumb the '08 stock and you can probably pick up something there. There are always guys at my local shops dumping off their current year bows at killer prices to upgrade to the latest models.Look around if you can, might something you want more.

ORIGINAL: Roach91

Does anybody shoot the Hoyt AlphaTec Bow or any Hoyt Bows?? I want to know if there good or not because my friend has one for sale and I don't really know much about bows. I think this is my chance to get into bowhunting if I buy it. Any answers will help thanks!
Old 10-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

The AlphaTec is at least 6 if not 7 years old (before the hybrid cam and a half came along)

Take the advice of Mikey S. and check in the AT classifieds. I am sure you will find something to your liking. As for the Hoyt bows, they are a top quality bow. I have shot nothing buy Hoyt for the last 5 years (6 new bows) and couldn't be happier.

For a beginner, I would try to stick with a bow that has a longer axle to axle (36" or more) and one that has a brace height of at least 7". This should give you a bow that is pretty easy to shoot.
The rage right now seems to be these ultra short bows (33" or less). I can tell you from personal experience that the shorter bows tend to be more critical of the shooter than a longer bow (all other things being equal).
Something like a Trykon XL, Vectrix XL, UltraTec or ProTec would be good choices.

Stay away from the 03 UltraTec! The risers were weak and had a tendancy to bend (I know of more than 4 cases of this happening). The problem was corrected in 04 and things have been fine since then.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:25 AM

Take the advice of these guys and pick up a more modern bow. The bow makes all the difference in the world. If you pick up an old out of date bow, it may give you a bad impression of archery and make you not like it. Years ago, I bought a bow because it was cheap. Started shooting it with poor equipment and hated it, and basically gave it up. A couple years later, I picked up a modern bow (because a friend bought one). The difference between my old bow and the bow I just bought was night and day. I fell in love with archery. So I would personally get a bow that was made within the last couple of years. You can find awesome deals on www.archerytalk.com classifieds website like stated above.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:13 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot a Trykon XL and I love it I've owned everything from PSE, Bear, Mathews to Hoyt and my honest opinion is that the Hoyt bows have always shot best for me, but it is a personal preference, go out and shoot a few diff models and then make your decision. Its easier to find a bow that fits you rather than forcing yourself to adapt to a bow that does not fit you.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:59 PM
BFR
Spike

I'm interested to see what people consider an "old" bow. I'm shooting a magnatec that I bought for $350 in '99. I shoots as well today as it ever has. Very well that is (270 fps). I think thats a good testiment to Hoyt. Almost 10 yrs. old going quite strong. I have no plans to replace it and money isn't really an issue. Shot a nice 8 pt. on Sept. 13 and a doe last Sat. in Wis.

After beginning my bowhunting career with old, hand-me-down bows, I don't consider it an old bow.
I think 10 yrs. ago, a 10 yr. old bow would be over the hill, but they've come a long way in recent years. Considering that new bows cost as much as rifles, they should last nearly as long.

I put on a drop away rest this year and am very pleased the accuracy

Quick Reply: Hoyt Bows>????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.