Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Decoy

Old 10-23-2010, 09:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default Decoy

I've been wanting to try a deer decoy for quite some time. Gander Mountain has a sale on the primos Harry decoy for$99. Has anyone had any experience with this decoy, any pros or cons?

Thanks
Tom
Old 10-24-2010, 11:24 PM
Typical Buck

I have never used the decoy you are talking about. I have used a 3-d deer target and had some luck with it I belive the biggest buck was an 8 pointer. I hear carry lite makes a great decoy.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

I have one. Bought it last year. I haven't used it that much, but.....

Pro's:
-the "fur" makes it look pretty realistic in the field
-it's fairly quiet putting together due to the "fur"
-the wind causes head and tail movement
-two sets of different size antlers, the small ones seem to work better in attracting all bucks.

Con's:
-the fabric is starting to pull away from the plastic shell near the edges which will only get worse the more and more I pack it.
-it's not easy to pack everything back into the the body shell much less just the legs and head.
-it's pretty heavy due to the weights that screw on the head for the movement.
-not crazy about the steel rod in the middle of it's belly that anchors it to the ground (probably doesn't matter, I just don't like the look of it).

I was sold on the "fur" when I got it. It just looked very realistic. If I had it to do all over again, I would probably buy the "Boss" Buck from Flambeau.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Typical Buck

I am tring it out this year. The retail is over $200 so $99 is somking.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:12 PM
Spike

i was looking to get a decoy and saw this one on sale. i picked it up. its alright and its the only decoy i have so i can compare. getting that rod up the stomach kind of makes some noise if your not careful. im worried about the more i use it the holes will get worn out for the legs and antlers.. i did have a something hit it while it was still dark out the other morning i put it out. and its nice you dont have to use antlers and use it as a doe decoy if need be. its a hollow cavity and sometimes weight shifts when your carrying it so be careful how you pack it in.