Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Preparing Arrow Shafts And Vanes For Fletching? >

Preparing Arrow Shafts And Vanes For Fletching?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Preparing Arrow Shafts And Vanes For Fletching?

Old 06-20-2007, 08:33 PM

Default RE: Preparing Arrow Shafts And Vanes For Fletching?

Maybe I spoke too soon, IF YOU USE WRAPS you will have to use some kind of chemical to get the sticky off, and I dont think water or even soapy water will get it done. Im no guru Ill admit, I dont know if acetone has acid in it or not, I think it more of a thinner and the reason that i say use hand protection is that it might absorb through your skin and cause you some problems. and Ive never had any problems with it causing my wraps to be weak or not stick. Good Luck with which ever way you choose to clean your arrows!!!!!!

Old 06-20-2007, 11:29 PM

I use just plainIsopropyl alcohol on a paper towel. Then wipe it with a dry one to remove any white residue. Cleans good and evaporates quickly. No problems here.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Notice that in davepjr71's post that they clean all the acetone off after useing it to remove any residue.

None of them recomend useing acetone and leaving it on the shaft.
Rinse in hot water and air dry. (This will bring the PH level on the surface of the shaft as close to zero (should read 7, or neutral)as possible, allowing for the absolute best adhesion).
I called AAE and asked them and they told me that the due toacetones acidity it continues to react with the glues in the shaft and releases fumes, even after it dires, that reacts with the fast setting glues and reduces bonding strength.

From NAP's website......
IMPORTANT - Do not use acetone or any other chemical to wipe the arrow shaft or the base of the vane. Cyanoacrylate adhesives are slightly acidic so preparing the shaft with acetone or other chemical solvents greatly reduces bonding. Chemical solvents are a barrier to adhesion.

Rubbing alcohol should be avoided. If you want to use alcohol then use denatured like you get at Lowes or Home Depot.

I highly reccomend using water only unless you need to remove sticky residue from a wrapthen use a small amount of acetone or alcoholbut make sure to wash it thoroughly with water before fletching. I fletch hundreds of dozens of arrows every year and use water on an clean ragonly and do not sand the shaft becasue youcan never get all of the fine particles of carbon dust out of the scratch marks. I have yet have a customer tell me that their fletchings have come off.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

After I scrape off the current fletching and some of the glue with a knife, I clean the rest of the glue off with acetone and a scotch brite green pad. I stick the back of the arrow in a bottle of acetone for about a minute and the glue comes right off using the scotch brite pad. The acetone evaporates very quickly. Then I rub all around the bottom of the shaft with the padsome more with the scotch brite pad.Then I clean that part of the shaft with denatured alchohol. I have pulled arrows through hay bales and targets without the fletchings coming off.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:33 PM

I think the reason that my arrows have white residue left on them is becasue I did not use hot water to rinse off the AAE Arrow Shaft Cleaner. Although it did not say to use hot water in the instructions. To put the inserts in my arrows it says to use 99% Isopropyl on a Q tip to clean the inside of the shaft. Then you apply the glue to theinserts and put them in the arrows. I am using the H.I.T. inserts but I don't think that would make a difference.