HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Review of Summit's Hot Dot sight (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/191263-review-summits-hot-dot-sight.html)

Greg / MO 06-19-2007 03:18 PM

RE: Review of Summit's Hot Dot sight

Swanee, I contacted Summit regarding your question and was informed the circuit board is sealed, and its components are rated to -5...

I know for me, I would think that if it dropped that cold for any extended length of time,my sight working would be the last thingI'd be worried about! :DI'd be worried about drawing... moving... breathing... [8D]

Swanee 06-20-2007 10:14 AM

Thanks for checking on that Greg. I'm with you on the hunting when it's -5 as well.

Greg / MO 07-21-2007 08:52 PM

I've seen some questions around battery life lately, so I thought I'd let everyone know that life expectancy is six months... you should be plenty good to go if you put a new one in right before the season starts, but I'll probably carry an extra one along with my multi-tool in my daypack just as insurance -- no different than carryng an extra release. Again, the electronics has memory storage of your setting for around 3-4 minutes, allowing you ample time to swap out the battery.

Greg / MO 07-29-2007 01:11 PM

Bump for Mike from Texas, as well as for everyone else asking questions about this sight...

sparky357 07-29-2007 02:31 PM

Greg, I received mine two weeks ago and do like it very much. I had a few minor problems with the sight. I could not tighten the wing nutsenough to properly secure the sight. I did as the instructions stated as an option and removed both wing nuts. Using my alenI can now tighten the housing properly. In addition I must of had an older battery because the one that came with the sight lasted 4 hours. I put a voltmeter on that battery and it read 2.2 volts. Must of been an older one. I bought a new one andhave 10 hours on it and so far so good. I do not like the way the screws hold the bottom cover on. The threads are wood screw type going only into the plastic housing. They should have used an insert with machine threads. It wont take much to strip out the plastic in the housing frame. After all you must remove these screws in order to change out your battery. And make sure you do it within 60 seconds or your fixed pin settings will default to factory settings.
Another important factor is to set your pendulum mode first and then without moving your housing program that first fixed pin at that position. If you do not or cannot do this you will have to move your housing when you switch from pendulum mode to fixed pin mode. Not something I want to do.
The other problem I had Summit took care of by sending me a new sight bracket. The quiver screw holes had not been tapped properly. Half the threads were missing and the others were to shallow to grab any screw. Summit responded properly.
I have used the sight on my Bowtech Patriot VFT and am very pleased. No moving parts 25ft high pendulum mode dead on out to 35yds, Simply awesome. I will be hunting with this sight this year and will provide feedback.
BTW excellent post. Hope this info helps someone. LOL this year.

Greg / MO 07-29-2007 02:53 PM

Sparky, I've talked to Summit about some of the things you mentioned...

One of the first things I did was to remove the wing nuts and start using my allen wrench to adjust the sight brackets as you did; it's my understanding that they now give this option in the instructions shipped with the newer sights.

I've heard some feedback about the sights being shipped with old batteries, and Summit is aware of it. I think the instructions have also been revised to state that a user has 3-4 minutes of battery backup to change out a battery if needed, if I heard correctly.

You're right about having to choose either the pendulum mode or the fixed mode currently if you don't want to have to make adjustments.

I have used the sight on my Bowtech Patriot VFT and am very pleased. No moving parts 25ft high pendulum mode dead on out to 35yds, Simply awesome.
Glad to hear it, because as you can tell, that was the overall impression that I was left with as well! :)

Mike from Texas 08-19-2007 09:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Bump for Mike from Texas, as well as for everyone else asking questions about this sight...
HUH? Did I already ask a question about this sight?

Anyway, I am dying to know how this thing will work inside a Double Bull. That's my only gripe with hunting out of them, the pins are hard to see especialy if it's bright sunny outside. I may have to buy one to try that out.

Greg / MO 08-19-2007 09:31 PM

LOL... yeah, you did in another thread. It was a few weeks ago now.

Mike from Texas 08-21-2007 08:52 PM

Greg have you had the opportunity to do any shooting out of a blind with it yet?

Greg / MO 08-22-2007 03:38 PM

Mike,

No, I don't even own a blind as of yet; with a four-year-old infatuated with hunting (imagine that? ;)), I'm sure it won't be long until I possess one. :)