Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Tree Saddle or Ambush Sling - a season in review >

Tree Saddle or Ambush Sling - a season in review

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Tree Saddle or Ambush Sling - a season in review

Old 04-11-2008, 11:47 PM

Default RE: Tree Saddle or Ambush Sling - a season in review

Hey guys; Hope everyone is ready for the turkey opener tomorrow morning. Do any of you own and use an Anderson Tree Sling? I just picked one up on Ebay for 12 bucks and it didn't come with any kind of directions. It's kind of hard to make heads or taols of. I finally got it on and the way I have it there isn't any straps around the shoulders. I know this sounds crazy but I'm not even sure I have this rigged right or not. If anyone has one could they post a picture of them with it on so I can make sure I have it right before I climb 25 feet up a tree and dangle my butt out over that hard ground..... There just isn't any info anymore on Google or anywhere that I can find. Think they're so old now that noone talks about them. Anyway any info I could get on them would be greatly appreciated. Have a great turkey season!!!!
Old 12-22-2008, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

Metalback,

Wow, Okay so I hardly ever have time to visit this wonderful site anymore, but I just happened to be browsing the web and this thread came up. So sorry, but I am a little late on this one. If you are still around or see this, I have an anderson tree sling. Can't find ANY information anywhere except the occasional mention of one in an old hunting book. With that, I absolutely LOVE mine. I do usually use a lock-on, but it is great on the fly. Let' hope you have figured out how to use it now , but if you have any questions feel free to ask. If you still have it and don't want it any longer, I am always looking for another one, you just can't find them anymore! Best of luck and happy hunting.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had the Tree suit and the Tree Saddle for a number of years now...The Tree suit is an older model I have had it since 2001. The Tree Saddle I have had for at least three seasons if not four.

The tree suit has a solid seat in it which is more comfortable to sit on. It takes the pressure off of your hips. The older models were made with a plastic "chinese rope" (a rope that runs inside the other). While it is more comfortable than the Saddle it makes more noise. The guy who bought the company told me he fixed this issue and even hooks up to the tree different now with a simpler system.

The Tree Saddle is certainly more quiet but I would tell anyone up front, to me it is not a comfortable system. I don't know how anyone could spend five hours in one. At the end of two hours I am ready to get down.

I usually do use one or the other each year, mostly the saddle due to it being quieter, however they will not be replacing the lock ons or the ladder stands any time soon.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

Well, I will add my thoughts. i bought a Tree Saddle this year. It is a great tool. i have not done a full day's hunt(at one time) with it, but 3-4 hours were plenty comfortable. The "best of both worlds" requires a couple add-ons. First of all, screw in tree steps just stink and take too long to set up. I went with the LW climbing sticks, and just recently converted to the UCR rope from Patrick (AT). Instead of tree steps, I bought a LW seat attachment to stand on. This is large enough that you can stand up straight without any of the sling for short periods of time also. If needed I guess you could add a step or two to the backside of the tree, but I feel it is not necessary. Next, instead of knee pads, use a strap on padded camo around the tree. This will eliminate the bark coming off and give your knees a needed rest.
Hope this helps! The Saddle gets two thumbs up for me!! Can't get much more versital with less weight and still be safe.
Dandbuck
Old 12-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to have an Anderson tree sling years ago but I always used climbing spikes(like lineman climbers). That way I was able to simply walk right up the tree, using safety strap loosely around tree, hook the top around a fork, and was ready to pull up bow and hunt right then. I'm confused why people got away from strap on boot climbing spikes.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

All sounds good but do you have to hold what your hunting with(gun bow ect.)in your hands the whole time?
Old 01-04-2009, 01:18 AM
Fork Horn

jus wondering if anyone has used the saddle with climbing gear?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:38 PM

I just ordered one, i have been wanting it for awhile. I think it is the perfect item forr people who move around a lot and dont hunt the same area everytime.