Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Spoot Hogg Whammy anyone??? >

Spoot Hogg Whammy anyone???

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Spoot Hogg Whammy anyone???

Old 04-17-2007, 08:44 PM

Default Spoot Hogg Whammy anyone???

I just saw an add for the new Whammy by Spott Hogg.
I haven't seen a thread on one.
The add looked good.(they all do) Anyone use this rest ? I am in a semi serious search for a new rest for my Black Ice.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Spoot Hogg Whammy anyone???

I have one ordered, should be here today or tomorrow, I will let you know what I think, It will have to go some before I replace my Limb Drivers.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:58 AM

Yes by all means , keep me posted.

http://www.watchtheoutdoors.com/showcase/hunting/spot_hogg.html

I watched their video on set up and it looks a little involved, especially if you want to change arrow size from 3-d to hunting.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:19 PM

I just got one put on my guardian. So far so good. I have only had the rest for a few weeks but i get zero contact with my blazers and the rest. It works by(what im told anyway) connecting to the down cable. When you draw your bow back one of the cables moves up and the other moves down. Most drop aways attach to the up cable so when you pull your string back the rest goes up. Well this has a built in trigger so when you draw back the down cable goes down triggering the trigger built on it, and when you release the string the trigger goes off dropping the rest really fast for clearance.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:27 AM

If you go to the Spot-hogg website, there is a video on the Whammy. According to the info, the cable is connected to the up traveling cable. As you draw the bow back all tension on the cable is removed and the shock of the shot causes the release to fall away(I guess). The act of the up-cable moving back to it's orginal position, resets the rest. I thought the setup was simple. Just install the rest, pull the cable tight and go. No timing required. There was a thread on AT.com about the rest. It's on my list of rests to look at for my 07 Ally once I get back home. The slow motion video is great.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mightymite--your facts are crossed on this one. Like Keyway said, the Whammy works connected to the UP cable, so at full draw, the restcord tension on the cable is relaxed. The rest trigger goes up. When the bow is at rest, the trigger is pulled down against the frame of the rest.

I installed one on my Guardian a week ago--it works really well and there's no sign of vane contact--HOWEVER the one draw back with the rest lies with the launcher fork. It is NOT insulated and therefore while drawing the bow the contact from the launcher/arrow makes quite a UNWANTED sound--will spook any deer up close. NOT GOOD--Spot Hogg should have really addressed this issue.
Nevertheless I've putsome shrink tubing on the forkand tamed the noise quite a bit. I'm now trying to get some of the GIBBS forktubing for a permanent fix.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive got one on my darton pro 2000 , its an awesome rest , I grt complete clearance , its quiet , and Im shooting great groups , setup is pretty simple , spothog has a videio on their website for setup .

I didnt have the issue amphunter had , as I installed althletic tape from the getgo , moleskin will do the same to quiet the draw .
Old 04-20-2007, 06:03 PM

Sorry for the mixed information. Again thats what i was told. As ampahunter said i too have a slight noise to my rest because you will always have that on metal prongs, but mine isnt too bad. Before the start of the season I am going to put some of the teflon prong covers on.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:48 PM

Thank You gentlemen for your insight. I do believe I'll get one.
I like the idea that the arrow rides on the prongs longer than the drop away type I have now. It seems that would add some control to the equation.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont think you will be disapointed , check out the website for the instalation video , the paper they send with it is a joke .

Quick Reply: Spoot Hogg Whammy anyone???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.