Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

GRIM REAPERS - OH, MAN!

Old 03-22-2007, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default GRIM REAPERS - OH, MAN!

As I said in a recent post, I just bought two packages of 100 grain 1 3/8" Grim Reapers. I was going to test shoot them yesterday evening, but never got around to it because of the nightmare of a time I had putting them on the arrows and getting the kinks worked out. All I can say is that I hope the assembled units are a lot more durable on impact than the individual parts look. They came fully assembled, but I mishandled a couple and they fell apart. They're solid once you get them screwed on, but until then, you have to handle them with kid gloves. They're abit of apain to get back together.After I got all six screwed on, I had tounscrew and disassemblefour ofthem and adjust the inside parts because one blade would be difficult to open, and one might fall open. Not good. After about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, they were all assembled and ready to go and all blades had the same amount of tension and it was dark. Why does it worry me that this BH breaks down into 12 separate parts? Still, I've heard good things about them. Can't wait to shoot them.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: GRIM REAPERS - OH, MAN!

I dunno, that sounds like an awful lot of work just to put a broadhead on. I personaly like any of the G5 heads, no messing around with a bunch of moving parts they fly true and all of them have awsome on game performance.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:47 AM

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

As I said in a recent post, I just bought two packages of 100 grain 1 3/8" Grim Reapers. I was going to test shoot them yesterday evening, but never got around to it because of the nightmare of a time I had putting them on the arrows and getting the kinks worked out. All I can say is that I hope the assembled units are a lot more durable on impact than the individual parts look. They came fully assembled, but I mishandled a couple and they fell apart. They're solid once you get them screwed on, but until then, you have to handle them with kid gloves. They're abit of apain to get back together.After I got all six screwed on, I had tounscrew and disassemblefour ofthem and adjust the inside parts because one blade would be difficult to open, and one might fall open. Not good. After about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, they were all assembled and ready to go and all blades had the same amount of tension and it was dark. Why does it worry me that this BH breaks down into 12 separate parts? Still, I've heard good things about them. Can't wait to shoot them.
I'd rethink your chioce. Too many parts= disaster.
You shouldn't have to take them apart to get them to work properly.
There are many excellent mechanicals you just screw on and shoot.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:54 AM

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

And if one of those blades fly open in flight the target is missed by feet not inches - trust me I know. I have tried these heads and if they appear loosey goosey with the blades falling open they need some work. The Grim Reaper folks say you can shoot them with all the blades open but to me that defeats the purpose of a mechanical expanding broadhead.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

LittleChief, if you want a head that doesn't use O-rings or rubber bands like the Reapers that you would feel better about, take a look at NAP Spit Fires or Innerloc EXP's. I actually prefer the Innerlocs or the NAP heads. They are extremely easy to use and to replace blades with, are tough, accurate, plus have a collar you can adjust the cutting width with.

Innerloc advertises that you can shoot the EXP open, and I have done it. The still fly on the mark with the blades deployed. You might ask why I'd want to shoot them open. I have a DB T2 blind that has sewn in mesh in the large window. When I hunt turkey, I can't shoot the EXP through the mesh because it has the "L" shaped blades. So I either have to quickly switch to a fixed bladed arrow, or I can use the EXP's and just open the blades manually real quick without even removing the arrow from the bow. That way if a gobbler hangs up in from of the sewn window, I can still take the shot.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:38 AM

Another reason I love my slicktricks
Old 03-23-2007, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

Slick Tricks are hard to beat.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:08 AM

The Grim Reapers arent that difficult to use.....I used them this past season. I killed 2 deer with them, but I had the 1 3/4" cut. I will say one thing....They reak havoc on a deer. The entrance hole looked like a Mercedes symbol while the exit hole was about a 2" HOLE. It looked like I had shot her with my .300 Mag!!! Pass through was achieved on both. The blood trail was unbelievable. She ran 40 yards and crashed. I was impressed, however, I am going to try the Rage this year and the Montec.
I did have to replace the blades after each deer. I caught a little of the back of the shoulder on both deer and although it still blew through it, it bent the blades. If you can get the blades to be stiff, I like shooting them that way. I have plenty of kinetic energy to open them.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

Total junk in my opinion, tried on target at home as far as they got. Not durable at all
Old 03-25-2007, 12:09 PM

I purchased a pack. Had trouble numerous times, threw them out. JUNK.

Quick Reply: GRIM REAPERS - OH, MAN!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.