Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Compound bow for a new shooter, recommendations please. >

Compound bow for a new shooter, recommendations please.

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Compound bow for a new shooter, recommendations please.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:27 PM

Default RE: Compound bow for a new shooter, recommendations please.

I just started back into archery and I highly recommend a archery shop. They can measure your draw length and get you setup with a bow. I was buying the Hoyt Trykon when I was shown I could have the Vectrix for $75 more. I have to warn you the accessories add up quickly. I bought a Vectrix, HHA Sight, Whisker Biscuit, 12 Easton Carbon 400 arrows, Doinker Stabilizer, and case.

I did look at the Matthews Drenanlin and Switchback XT and liked the Vectrix better. My old PSE is now a fishing bow. I hope this helps. MV out!

Old 03-25-2007, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

MVet, those are all the same bows I am looking at so far, but I haven't even began to go into depth on the accessories, I am still at the stage of convincing myself this is all economical.. I am expecting to spend $1500 CAD and come home with something I can shoot, and hopefully have a couple arrows too.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:24 PM
Typical Buck

Went in and got myself measured today, the fellow ran over the details on what I should be looking for. Young guy, owns Hoyt, Matthews, UltraTec.. What I liked most is he didn't try to steer me into anything particular, we are going to spend an afternoon shooting bows.
There was one bow, I forget the name but it was ridiculously light, in the same price range as the rest.. I liked it.
This is going to be a bumpy ride.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:20 PM

Like you, I was looking to buy the best for me and my money. The Hoyt Vectrix won me over. The really light bow you held was probably the Matthews Drenalin. I know it is a good bow, but my mind was telling me it felt like a kid's bow. Sorry Matthews guys.

Here are the top two in my book:

Matthews

Hoyt

MV out!
Old 03-26-2007, 08:40 PM

You can't go wrong with the vectrix. shootability, performance, and a company that stands behind its product, not to mention the best limbs in the industry. But it is whatever works best for you, is what really matters!
Old 03-28-2007, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was set on the Vectrix until I shot the Allegiance. Then the Vectrix became and after thought. Get measured and shoot as many bows as possible and you'll make up your own mind.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:48 PM

Drenalin.Fast light smooth accurate(as you can make it)I love mine.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:24 PM

Piper - I just wondering what you have, in terms of bow experience, to compare to the Jennings bow. I know I recently got back into archery and was pretty amazed how things had changed since the mid 80's. You need to shoot some various modern bows first, I would say, before jumping in the water. For the money, a Bear Element/Instinct is a great bow. So is the Martin Bengal. There are also lots of great deals out there on used equipment. Check E-Bay for an old Mathews SQ2 or Hoyt ProTec - you can get one a couple years old for about half of whata new one costs. There is lots of time between now and big game season. Use it wisely.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

You cant go wrong with anything called bowtech. I was at a bowtech shop a guy came in with cracked limbs from and 04 mightymite and he admited tot eh shope owner that a guy cracked them in a press and he still got a new set free from bowtech.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:11 AM
RMA
Fork Horn

You need to shoot a number of bows and see which one you shoot the best. Find a local pro shop and have them set up a few for you to test.

Quick Reply: Compound bow for a new shooter, recommendations please.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.