Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Compound bow for a new shooter, recommendations please. >

Compound bow for a new shooter, recommendations please.

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Compound bow for a new shooter, recommendations please.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default Compound bow for a new shooter, recommendations please.

I borrowed a compound bow from a friend, Jennings T master, and I can't get enough of it. So now it's time for me to buy my own and I would appreciate some suggestions.
I don't want to buy something only to look back and wish I had bought better, so right now I have my eye on a Hoyt Vetrix, or maybe something from UltraTech.
My concern is starting off with something over my head, but I also don't want to look back with regret on my purchase.. I can shoot the Jennings (70#) like I was born with it in my hands so I am not scared to buy something good, so what else is out there for me?
Old 03-22-2007, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Compound bow for a new shooter, recommendations please.

From what I've read since I've been in here, you've got your eye on a great bow in the Vetrix. I shoot a Drenalin, and I love it. I hear a lot of great things about the Bowtech Guardian, and it's a great shooting bow too. Everyone will tell you to shoot as many as you can and pick the one that feels best to you. Good luck, and let us know what you decide on.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks.. I will try a few. I think part of me has already decided on thet Vetrix though..
I am going to try the Bowtech out before I make a decision, it seems to be a good contender to the Hoyt line.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dont count out Ross,thier CR line are awsome bows that is very shooter friendly and reasonably fast at a good price. Ther new Cardiac is hands down probably the best bow for 2007.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:51 AM

Shoot every bow you can get your hands on. One of them will stand out of the crowd for you.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:30 PM

i am completely happy with my drenalin, imyself just started shooting and i had some of the same worries that you have, i sure am glad that i bought a top of the line bow, now i am addicted, my wife on the other hand is not ha, ha
Old 03-24-2007, 05:55 AM

I was dead set on a Vectrix, and I still love them.....but I messed up and shot the Vulcan right next to the Vectrix...lol

At 70 lbs., you can close your eyes, let the salesman hand you a bow (Vectrix or Vulcan) without you looking at the bow, just draw it back and shoot it. I could NOT tell the difference between the two. And the Vulcan that I bought was actually 12 fps faster than the Vectrix (both set at IBO)

Shoot as many as you can, see what you like.

I will say this. If you a long draw like me, then you can see the numbers I am getting out of my Vulcan in my signature. If you a short draw, then I'll tell you this. I saw a guy in the shop the same day I was rigging mine and he bought a Vulcan in 27". He had it set at 62 lbs. and was shooting a 310 grain arrow at 302 fps.

All of that and I can still hold 5" groups at 40 yards and 8" groups at 50 yards. The bow can shoot tighter, it's just that I can't.....lol
Old 03-24-2007, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have my own opinion on this and will give an explaination. You profess to be a new shooter, right? Then I would not consider any bow that is not draw length adjustable. One of the most important factors for shooting a compound bow is getting the draw length correct. Unless you have a lot of experience then you probably have no idea of what draw length you should shoot.

Most people will pick something too long, often way too long. If you buy a bow that is not adjustable then you're stuck with it. You can go through a process of changing cams and such, but at what expense to your pocket book and confidence.

You don't need to buy into all this hype about the latest and greatest bows that come out every year. In reality there isn't much difference between them, mechanically. There isn't enough difference, or one that you'll see, between something that costs $400 and one that costs $700 until you really know what you are doing.

Leave the draw length specific bows for the masters and pick something you can adjust till you know what your optimum (not necessarily correct) length should be, down to the last 1/8". It's that important.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:48 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

I have my own opinion on this and will give an explaination. You profess to be a new shooter, right? Then I would not consider any bow that is not draw length adjustable. One of the most important factors for shooting a compound bow is getting the draw length correct. Unless you have a lot of experience then you probably have no idea of what draw length you should shoot.

Most people will pick something too long, often way too long. If you buy a bow that is not adjustable then you're stuck with it. You can go through a process of changing cams and such, but at what expense to your pocket book and confidence.

You don't need to buy into all this hype about the latest and greatest bows that come out every year. In reality there isn't much difference between them, mechanically. There isn't enough difference, or one that you'll see, between something that costs $400 and one that costs $700 until you really know what you are doing.

Leave the draw length specific bows for the masters and pick something you can adjust till you know what your optimum (not necessarily correct) length should be, down to the last 1/8". It's that important.
You, know David, there is a whole wack of wisdom here. Specifically the DL issue. It may go against your recent passion so think hard about BGs post. When my Vulcan comes in I will let you swap My T-Master for my Ultra Tech. It is DL adjustable (I just put on a Gibblet string and dropped the DL to 27 inches). I know there are a few new Ultra Techs out there for pretty good prices and its going to be really hard to beat the Ultra Tech! This bow would be better than you for many years to come. NO, you can't buy it either but yes you can use it for a few months.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

Your too good to me..lol
I will have to look into this DL thing, sounds like I need to spend an afternoon in a bow shop learning all this stuff.
I have the three pins on your Jennings set up for 20-30 and 50, it shoots so clean that it doesn't matter what yardage I shoot from, they all group so well. My fear is going to a lesser bow and losing that clean quiet accuracy. I have had a few decent suggestions of bows to try, and I will try them all but I don't want to step backwards in bow quality from what I have here now, so the newest thing isn't really an option, it is a necessary step.. I wasn't aware that some bows allowed the DL to be adjusted. Good thing I asked.

Quick Reply: Compound bow for a new shooter, recommendations please.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.