HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   whisker biscuts (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/185410-whisker-biscuts.html)

AngelofDeth92 03-21-2007 05:06 AM

whisker biscuts

whats teh deal with whisker biscuts?....ive heard they slow down your arrows and rip off fletchings....so what kind of rest should i go with?

nknute 03-21-2007 05:55 AM

RE: whisker biscuts

Ihave heard that a lot of people do not like them but I have had one on my bow for about a month and love it, I dont think I'll ever change.I haven't had any fletchings ripped off yet but I have heard that does happen from time to time.

Shootem up870 03-21-2007 06:19 AM

if you paper tune your bow and you have good tears the biscuit will be fine. i shot one for two years until i recently switched to a drop away which i now prefer over the WB. either way you willl be fine your pro shop should be able to get it tuned fine for you

whitetaildave24 03-21-2007 06:23 AM

one thing you can do it add a drop of glue to the forward edge of thefletching (the part that goes through the wb first) and that will keep the fletchings from coming off. I have been shooting the wb for years and I have never had a fletching fly off. It may slow the arrow down a little, but I will take a tiny decrease in speed and know that my arrow will never fall off the rest again.

BKE 03-21-2007 08:17 AM

You will see this question regularly on all the forums, I posted it myself a while back. I use one and it wrinkled the heck out of a few of my 4 in. vanes and it also will leave black marks. It can tear the vanes off or chew up the front of it so a drop of super glue can help prevent that. As for the wrinkled vanes, I was told it should not effect the flight unless it's really bad and to try some heat from a hairdryer to get them back into shape. Once the vanes get really beat up or I get motivated I'm going to re-vane them anyway. Some say when you switch go with2 in.Blazers and some say Dura vanes (work really well with the Biscuit). Probably some other opinions as well. good luck

jackdee 03-22-2007 04:16 AM

I have used the WB for a few years now and had had no problems with it. I shoot 2" blazer vanes and have not lost a vane yet. I fletch my own arrows and I have always put a drop of glue on the front of every vane or feather I have ever shoot. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM

MdDave 03-22-2007 04:28 AM

had one.. put on a drop away. i like my drop away alot more.. i jus didnt like the idea of tearin up my fletchings ..

in da woods 03-24-2007 07:23 AM

I switched from a drop away to a WB, noticed no difference. I do use 2" Blazers & have never had a problem w/them getting torn off. As for slowing down the arrow, it's possible as the vanes go thru, but for arrow shaft contact, it is no different than a 2 prong style rest.

vaclav 03-25-2007 06:57 PM

i shoot a WB and i have no problems with it and i like it very much. but if you are "afraid" to use it, then i would go with the ripcord dropaway, when and if i get a new rest i will get one of those.

Archer18 03-25-2007 08:51 PM

I have looked at the whisker biscuits and for my preference, I wouldn't want the drag interfering with my arrow flight. It's common sense, with a drop away your arrow is untouched.

Howler 03-26-2007 02:28 PM

The WB is probably on more hunting bows than any one other rest. It and the blazers vane are like bread and butter, they go together and accuracy is NOT a problem once the WB is tuned/set up correctly. It'a also common sense that like any other rest, including your drop away, that it needs to be set up correctly to work well. And, UNLIKE your drop away, there is no issue with timing!

bslugnut 03-27-2007 09:47 AM

I have been shooting a WB for 3 years now and have never lost a fletching. I used Goat Tuff to attach my 2" blazers and never had a problem. I shoot a little bit throughout the year, probably 1000 shots a year.

BSLugnut

Montana Dave 03-31-2007 10:23 AM

IMO, the WBis the best rest on the market! Test after test proves it does NOT negatively affect speed in any way. It is SIMPLE, and it works. I dont see how you could get better than that! Wont freeze-up like fall-away rests, either.

They get my highest recommendation, for what its worth.

hallj86 04-01-2007 06:42 PM

If your going to shoot a 1000 shots a year a WB is the best rest for you. The only reason I held on to mine so long I beacuse it is simply the best hunting rest out their IMO.

But if your goign to use your bow for other shooting like for fun at teh range or competitions or going to shoot a moderate amount and car about your accuracy. Get a new rest. In my personal experince getting drop away increasead my scores dramatically. It is costing me more money due to the fact that I keep hitting my arrows, becasue I was stupid and shoot at the same place more than once.

just an account of what happened when I made the switch. It is a great rest if you hunt and shoot once a month stay with it.

nakedhunter 04-02-2007 07:55 AM

I have had vanes slowly torn off. The way I shoot, one of my vanes (5" on Easton Alum xx75 2215) hits the black bottom whiskers which appear to be stiffer than the brown. Not only does this tear vanes but the vane starts cutting the whiskers off. Right now I have a groove into the black about half way into the biscuit. I haven't tried the glue trick but will have to try that out.

yajsab 04-02-2007 09:38 AM

My friend shoot a WB. Just like others said, vanes got torn up. If you shoot couple times and then hit the woods, it's a good rest. Otherwise, go with a different rest or refletch.

davepjr71 04-03-2007 04:50 PM

Been shooting the WB since I bought my bow over a month ago. Use Blazers and you will not have any issues with vanes.

MDBUCKHUNTER 04-04-2007 04:14 PM

I shot the WB with 2" Blazers. They wrinkled and then tore off.

My uncle shot the 4" plastic vanes and they wrinkled and then tore off.

I can purchase a WB for $50 vs. $75 for a drop away.

But when I have to keep re-fletching.....that $25 diff. is going to be spent really quickly!

TerryM 04-04-2007 06:42 PM

ORIGINAL: MDBUCKHUNTER

I shot the WB with 2" Blazers. They wrinkled and then tore off.

My uncle shot the 4" plastic vanes and they wrinkled and then tore off.

I can purchase a WB for $50 vs. $75 for a drop away.

But when I have to keep re-fletching.....that $25 diff. is going to be spent really quickly!
If you wrinkled blazer vanes with a bisquit it was seriously untuned and likely out of square completely. When I installed mine I shot the same test arrow which is fletched with a 2" Blazer over 150 times with absolutely no wrinkle or damage at all. Bisquits and blazers are the ideal hunting combination.

vindog 04-05-2007 04:39 AM

I had a wb on my bow before my ripcord. I have not noticed any better 3-d scores orbetter accuracy with my ripcord. Even though it was more than likely me the shooter, I actually shot better with the biscuit. So i am pretty sure i am going to put it back on. It took a while but my vanes did start to wrinkle and some had to be replaced with the biscuit. But blazers solved that problem right away. Plus the biscuit just can't be beat for hunting. Its just simple and reliable.

tmeservey 04-05-2007 07:27 AM

I know a fella who will be putting a biscut back on his bow because he had his arrow fall off between his riser lip and his drop away rest while pulling back on a buck. I know some companies put a bar across the top of the arrow so it limits arrow movement but the biscut is the ultimate "hunting" rest. I shoot 3-D and indoor winter league with mine and the drop away shooters have nothing over me. accuracy is great and blazer fire nice through a biscut. Just put a small dab of fletch glue in fron of each vane and there will be no worries. I've shot a biscut for 6 seasons.

Mathews Bows
HHA Optimizer Sights
Gold Tip Arrows
Scott Releases
G5 Broadheads

RefusetoFollow 04-06-2007 01:16 PM

Whisker biscuits may be good rests for whatever your needs may be. As for me I shoot a QAD dropaway and wont ever change to a biscuit. Just by simply looking at the way it is designed you'll never convinceme that it does not have any effect on arrow flight no matter how minimal that may be.

in da woods 04-06-2007 08:34 PM

Angelo, There are alot of people for & against the WB. I switched from a drop away to the WB. I use it for hunting, & some practice @ 3-D targets. No problems w/mine. I use 2" Blazers & it does NOT tear them up. As for accuracy, I was out Mon eve. & 4 the first time shooting my Tribute & the WB, I grouped 5 out of 6 arrows in a 3" circle, @ 40yds. I don't think there is a problem w/accuracy on them. Now granted, that people have reported 4" vanes coming off. Others have said no problems w/the 2" Blazers. Hence the reason I got them on my new arrows.
Determine what your main use will be, hunting or comp. shooting.

tmeservey 04-23-2007 11:08 AM

I shoot with many people and WB are as accurate as other rests. I placed 1st place out of 139 shooters this winter league with a WB and blazer vanes from a Mathews. I really ticked off alot of drop away gys. It's funny we all argue about this subject in the winter leagues.:D

LebeauHunter 04-23-2007 02:43 PM

Just like in da woods, I shoot Tribute with 2" Blazers, and although they do show friction wear over time, it does not
really tear them up. The only recent fletching damage I have had was from another arrow hitting them on the target.
Since I am only interested in fun and hunting, the WB is an easy choice for me.

bow_hunter44 04-23-2007 03:34 PM

ORIGINAL: yajsab

My friend shoot a WB. Just like others said, vanes got torn up. If you shoot couple times and then hit the woods, it's a good rest. Otherwise, go with a different rest or refletch.
I really don't want to sound 'preachy' but, ifone shoot a couple of times and hit the woods it really should be with a gun!

bslugnut 04-23-2007 07:37 PM

A few more notes about the WB damaging vanes. Remember that the longer the vane, the taller the tail of the vain. Why does this matter? This is probably what is causing some vanes to rip or get severely wrinkled, by the tips of the vanes rubbing on the inside of the outer ring, not from the whiskers! Also, to not the black whiskers on the bottom are stiffer to hold the arrow up. You should have your nock set so that the vanes look like an upside down “Y”.

Like I mentioned earlier I have been shooting WB for 3 yrs and love it! It is the most reliable, simplest design of all rests no moving parts to fail in the field! I just have a question, is there a difference in shooting a medium or large biscuit? I am shooting Carbon Express Maxima 250.

BSLugnut

TerryM 04-23-2007 08:10 PM

ORIGINAL: RefusetoFollow

Whisker biscuits may be good rests for whatever your needs may be. As for me I shoot a QAD dropaway and wont ever change to a biscuit. Just by simply looking at the way it is designed you'll never convinceme that it does not have any effect on arrow flight no matter how minimal that may be.

You're missing the point of the WB design. Of course there is contact and it affects arrow flight. The rest always contacts the whole shaft throughout the whole shoot cycle, in the same way every shot. Repeatable actions are what provide consistancy/accuracy. Why do you think a bullet can be fired down a barrel with 1 hole accuracy? because its the same exact process every shot. The bullet is in complete contact the whole barrel also. Contact is not a problem, erratic or uneven contact is.

tmeservey 04-24-2007 06:26 AM

Very good point Terry.

Tony Orlando and Dawn 04-26-2007 08:30 AM

I switched to a WB a few years ago after I missed a P&Y buck after my arrow fell off my TM hunter sytle pronged rest during extremely cold weather. With Blazer vanes and Bondini glue on carbon shafts, I haven't lost one vane in about three years of shooting.

killzonearchery 04-26-2007 11:47 AM

I have a whisker and they do not rip of any fletching. It might slow it down but i am not for sure about that either.But i like mine

BRIAN HEITTER 05-19-2007 09:28 AM

I USE THE 2'' BLAZER VANES WITH THE WHISKER BISCUIT, AND I WILL NOT USE ANY OTHER REST. YOU COULD SHOOT YOUR BOW UPSIDE DOWN IF YOU HAD TO! YOUR ARROW WILL NEVER FALL OFF WHILE YOU ARE HUNTING!!:)

wistickslinger 05-19-2007 10:03 AM

wb for me great rest with blazers

MDBUCKHUNTER 05-19-2007 07:03 PM

I gave the WB a second chance before purchasing my Trophy Taker. Needless to say, I went with a drop away. I wanted a rest that was quiet and the WB just didn't do anything for me.

Bowflex 05-20-2007 10:00 AM

ORIGINAL: nakedhunter

I have had vanes slowly torn off. The way I shoot, one of my vanes (5" on Easton Alum xx75 2215) hits the black bottom whiskers which appear to be stiffer than the brown. Not only does this tear vanes but the vane starts cutting the whiskers off. Right now I have a groove into the black about half way into the biscuit. I haven't tried the glue trick but will have to try that out.
I was told to put the cock vane up with the WB because the black bristles are meant to support the arrow on the rest. Is this correct?

Good Hunting,
Bowflex

early in 05-20-2007 10:44 AM

Yes, cock vane up.

davepjr71 05-20-2007 11:03 AM

Had WB andliked it. Just decided to go to drop away. (QAD Ultra Rest)

Couldn't help myself. I'm a tinkerer.

Josh, Josh, Josh
The WB is a great rest. I just started back to shooting after a 2 yr layoff and was accurate out past 50 yds.

The WB was a little louder.

MDBUCKHUNTER 05-20-2007 11:24 AM

Dave, Dave, Dave.....you shoot with your eyes closed! How can you say that you were accurate out to 50yds?

lol j/k

The engineering of a WB has me baffled. How can you gain good accuracy when your vanes sift through the WB's whiskers differently each time?

I'll edit my post to take off my dumb comment. lol

daughenbaugh hunter 05-21-2007 12:27 AM

Hello let me tell you i use whisker biscuit and i love it
especially in a stalk situation, which here in northern illinois you need in some corn fields, But i have a sad story about me one time, back in 1996 i was in the tree stand, and i was watching deer after deer come out the woods going to the soybean field about 75 yards away. so about 2 hours later i get out the stand walk over to the hedge row and wait, then just before dark about 10 to 15 yards away a big beautiful buck came out
in to the field right in front of me licking his branch
Now i was still green to the fact of hunting in some ways, But this is the kicker. i had a TM hunter rest and aluminum arrow shafts, and i forgot to put the dampeners on the tm hunter fork, for silent draw. so when i drew, lets just say
you can hear it for miles. a loud ssssssshhhhhhhhhh sound. lol. deer looked at me. i got shot off he hit the dirt arrow over his head and all i seen after that was me crying and his big white tail running off, lol
same year, my father law never been hunting before ever. so he was walking in a brush field and sat in his blind. a doe walked bye him, im waiting to hear him say i got it
im about 200 yards away watching in my glasses, nothing happened. we went to the truck it was dark. he said to me" my bow got tangled in some weeds and i just yanked it and tore the rest off LOL. so he said i culd of hit the deer with a rock it was so close and he said it just looked at me for a few minutes,, so yes i like whisker biscuit

21b_sapper 05-21-2007 12:19 PM

They make drop aways that hold your arrow in place. I have a rip cord drop away on my bow and love it.