Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

whisker biscuts

Old 05-26-2007, 08:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: whisker biscuts

LH,

I had to waith untill my new modules for a shorter drawlength were put on the bow.
I've been shooting 2114's through the WB and the arrows are held in all direction by the WB ( touching the arrow all around )
I think the arrows aren't stiff enough and are hitting the ring of the WB when released, I hear a "plastic"click when I shoot ( I made sure it wasn't something else ) and the some of my 4" vanes are ripping about 3/4 way up, not at the front.
I shot at 20 yards and saw my arrows wobble sideways, thenI shot at 40 yards and I had tighter groups.... I like the WB but if it doesn't get better with my st axis 400spine arrows, I'll change the WB for a drop away rest.

I can't tell if it's a medium or a large WB, it came with the bow ( tomkat with hunting package )
Old 05-26-2007, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Frank,

It sounds like you are using both aluminum arrows and Easton Axis arrows? The WB will not be too small for the Axis (as it is the smallest diameter arrow), but the same WB insert will not be good for both aluminum and Axis arrows. Touching on all sides is bad, it will create too much friction, slow your arrow down and do more fletching damage. Also, 4" vanes will get rougher treatment with WB, it messed mine up too much, which is why I switched to 2" blazers.

The wobble is likely not from the WB, but some kind of tuning or alignment problem. Also, with a 400 Axis, it doesn't sound like underspining. I don't know enough about this to give competent advice, but a lot of people do on here. You could start a separate thread about wobble in your arrow, and get specific advice on adjusting your sight, nock, etc.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:38 PM
Typical Buck

LH,
thx, I know, I have Dave helping me out with the wobble.
I only shoot the 2114's through my WB and the vanes are getting ripped, 2/3 of the way. I stopped changing things and I'll wait for the axis to arrive ( with blazers on them )
Dave told me to site a 40 yard pin at 5 yards and then shoot at 40 to make the woble go away, I tried moving the WB ( which is a pain with the screw being under the cable arm ) to the left or the right, but the wobble remains.
I'm seriously thinking of coming over to the US on a bowtuning trip.....
thx
Old 05-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

You brought up an interesting thing when you mentioned the arrows are touching the whole way around the WB. That is probably thesource of the problem. I believe that the shaft gets pinched in the fibers and that is what is causing the wobble. Carolina's site recommends that there is space between the arrow and the fibers. There is nothing wrong with using a WB that is too large. However, one that is too small will cause problems.

Here's another issue to think about. The WB is damaging the vanes and when the vanes make contact with the WB that is causing the erratic flight. Also, if 1 of your vanes curls the opposite of the rest it will cause a wobble.

I'd agree with you waiting until you get the axis w/ Blazers before trying anymore tuning. It sounds like the WB that comes w/ theTomkat is a medium, or is not made for standard aluminums.

After you sighting in the pin at 4 yds were did was your impact point at 40?

It would be great if you were closer. That's for sure.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

yeah, living closer would be great, firstI would have someone helping me out with the tuning thing and second of all, I would be hunting come fall.

Anyway, I had a phonecall from the shop, the arrows with the 2" blazers are waiting to be picked up on friday.

F.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear it. have fun shooting.