Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Who has a 80# Vulcan

Old 04-12-2007, 09:15 AM

Default RE: Who has a 80# Vulcan

ORIGINAL: gibblet

seriously, you guys should improve your shooting before talking smack. i mean, the groups you're talking about at the distances you're talking about - are really pretty bad, really bad in all honesty. the first pre-requisite for smack talking is actually being able to shoot - and y'all are quite a ways off from that. you just look dumb after posting your group sizes. i hate to have to say this - but you obviously didn't know.
I never posted my group sizes....I only said that I wasnt trying to shoot 2" groups at 50 yards and that I just wanted to maintain "killzone" groups out to 40 yards. The way I am set up right now, I am stacking the shafts on top of each other at 30 yards and shooting 3" groups at 40 yards, and 4-5" groups at 50 yards (mainly because I dont ever shoot 50 yards). Last time I checked, this is sufficient to stay in the killzone!!!

When I picked up a bow for the first time in my life, 8 months ago, I was shooting 8" groups at 20 yards. After a lot of practice, I can't shoot groups at 20 or 30 yards anymore due to the expense of arrows. This was my first year to bow hunt and I killed 3 deer with my bow. First one at 12 yards, 2nd at 42 yards, and the 3rd deer I killed was in a food plot at 62 yards. All 3 were doublelung, pass through shots that hit EXACTLY where I wanted them to hit. I believe that I have the right to "smack talk".

Besides, I'm sure I will get better with time, but to be honest with you, I dont NEED to improve my shooting. Killing deer out to 60 yards is good enough for me!!!

Randini, I think he is downing your 50 yard groups here....dont worry about him, the average whitetail is taken at 20 yards or less....
Old 04-12-2007, 01:37 PM

no, i'm downing you guys talking smack to folks who don't shoot 80# bows. shooting well is reason to talk smack, if you like to talk smack- not pulling weight. i hope behind the smack you can see that there are folks trying to let you know that as strong as you may be - shoulders don't hold upforever. put the bravado and pride where it goes - in taking care of your family and friends - not in pullingweight.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:41 PM

Hey gibblet, nothing last forever! thats why they call us mortals.We are talking 80#s, If that offends people why would they respond or even check out the thread? I go into threads that interest me, not to whine and complain about thingsthat others do. It might be alot different story if those guys personally knew me or came over to my house to have a couple beers and to sling some sticks. but to talk blindley is total ignorance, I can deal with stupidity no problem, but ignorance, I have a problem with. I try not to make a habit out of judging or tell other people what to do. What I do works well for me. As for thestatement about friend and family, I will not comment on that IGNORANT comment. Thanks for your concerns!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 10:17 PM

Hey gib,What do you mean bad? 7"-8" @ 50yds. That is 3" @ 20 yds for 6 arrows and you say thats "Really Bad" You must be in magazines and on the olympic team then, maybe my target shooting isn't perfect, but I have a nice collection of elk, blacktial, and mule deer that I have killed with a bow, and a freezer full of meat every year, What I lack in target shooting I more than make up in hunting performance.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:24 AM

I guess I have to chime in. I shoot a 80# vulcan because i can and i like to. I like fast heavy arrows, I like big bloody trails to follow, I like blowing through bone, and I can shoot accurate. HEY GIBLET: when i opened my bow case this year it still smelled like bloody arrows. Did yours smell like styrophome.(ha ha) Some target shooters couldnt hit a LIVE animal if it was sitting on their lap. I agree you need to be accurate to even think about shooting at a deer. 2" group at 50 yards sounds plenty good to me. Unless your hunting sparrows.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:08 AM

BigSarge, That's what I call great shooting!!! Randini, our groups may not be that good, but i'm still impressed with yours especially since you shoot 6 shot groups. My numbers are based on 3 shot groups. Everyone knows how tiresome and erratic 6 shot groups can get.

Bottom line for these guys talking about needing tight groups to be able to kill deer.....its just not necessary IMO. Think about it, when is the last time you had to shoot a deer in the heart or lungs with a 3 shot group in order to kill him?

The way I measure my "comfort zone" for shooting at a deer is I will only shoot at a distance that I can hit exactly where I am aiming for one shot....then I take a couple minute break and shoot again....another 2 minute break and shoot again. If I can do this and hit where I was aiming 3 times in a row, then that is a distance that i am comfortable shooting a deer at. I can do this out to 50 yards with ease. As a matter of fact, my first shot always hit where I want it to at 50 yards. Last time I checked, the first shot is what you need to kill a deer, correct?

As far as shoulders wearing out, I would think that if it is just as hard for someone to pull back 70# as it is for me to pull back 80#, then their shoulder will "wear out" just as fast as mine. There is no way for someone else to judge our strength levels. I work out 5 days a week and I do one particular exercise to simulate drawing back a bow. This is one arm, seated rows. I sit up and keep my back still and draw with my arm and upper back muscles to strengthen these muscles used in drawing a bow. I work out with 120 lbs doing 3 sets of 8 reps. This is from the seated position with NO LET OFF. So if anything wears out my shoulders, it wont be my bow set at 80#.

That's the amazing thing about the human body, when you eat right, workout, and stay in shape, it actually prevents injuries!!!
Old 04-13-2007, 04:26 PM

genius.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:38 PM

Gibblet, you hit the nail on the head.....do we know each other??? How did you know that I am a genius?... LOL

I do have an IQ of 168....not quite a genius IMO, but good guess anyway.

Just leave my thread alone and let us "Brutes" have a little fun!!!!
Old 04-17-2007, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

The part everyone is making fun of is every so often you guys talk like shooting 80# limbs makes you more of me. That is the joke.