Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Who has a 80# Vulcan

Old 04-06-2007, 09:00 PM

Default RE: Who has a 80# Vulcan

Doublelung My hand shock isn't even noticable, as for noise, I picked up a little more with the winnerschoice string and cables, my friend has a 70# and it is very quiet.(They always seem quieter when somebody else is shooting), I have 4 friends that shoot 70# vectrix's and they are even quieter than the vulcan. I shoot 27 5/8" axis obsession's w/ 100gr tips with a total weight of 424 grs. Thats 5.3 grs per pound. A 70# bow with the same arrow would be 6.0 grs per pound. According to Easton's arrow chart I am right between 340s & 300s, I don't know how they would fly over 28"s. The lighter tips would help, I think the fmj 340s are 11.1 gpi so you should still be at a reasonable weight.If you are looking for silence, I would go with a heavy 300, but I would think your arrow @ 80#s will be sufficient.You should gain around 2.3 fps per pound of draw weight giving you a noticable increase in velocity and very little more noise due to the increase in stored energy of the bow with the same arrow weight. Hope this helps you. Randini
Old 04-09-2007, 01:12 PM

Thanks Randini, One more question.
I just changed my 70# Vulcan to 65% let off...and I love it!!! I'm holding more weight, less of a valley, seems to draw smoother, and releases crisper. I tightened my groups down to 3" at 40 yards with this set up. What are you shooting on your 80# Vulcan, 75% or 65% let off?

I really like the 65% let off smoothness, I just hate to buy 80# limbs to find out that at 65% let off, that extra 3.5# of holding weight over my set up ends up being a breaking point and troublesome to shoot. I'm not a weak guy, but just wondering what you are shooting and what you think?

Old 04-09-2007, 01:16 PM

Also, with 65% let off at full draw, I can actually knock off about another 1/2" on my arrow length which would strengthen the spine of the arrow, and drop my weight to about 445 grains. Another thing I dont mind doing is shooting at 76 to 78 lbs. if that helps make my arrows spine correctly. I'm just not looking to drop $400 in new limbs and a dozen new arrows....that's about half of the cost of another Vulcan!!!!
Old 04-09-2007, 04:27 PM

On my vulcan I took out the draw stop and threw it away, I don't remember what the letoff came out too, Our proshop has an easton bow scale but I don't remember what it came out to on the digital readout.
I will check and get back to you. A friend of mine has a 70# vectrix and they tightened his cables and backed off his string, now he has a 75# bow, there are little tricks to tweaking them up. Winnerschoice can give you some good tips if you give them a call and talk to a tech.I hunt not to far from their factory and stopped in there last archery season just to check em out and see what they suggested and what was doable.They are really on top of things.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:21 PM

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

Better question would be "Who needs one". Sounds like a typical problem with testosterone level.
Its all good BGfisher...someone has to keep paying the shoulder reconstructive surgeon. Better them and not us.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Campo

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

Better question would be "Who needs one". Sounds like a typical problem with testosterone level.
Its all good BGfisher...someone has to keep paying the shoulder reconstructive surgeon. Better them and not us.
Hey Randini......Do you remember me putting "Calling all wimps!!!" in the title of this post????
Seems that if you cant shoot an 80 # bow or if you dont WANT to shoot an 80# bow or if you think you dont need to shoot 80# limbs.....Why in the hell would you even look at this thread, let alone post to it????

Besides.....if 60# or 70# is all you ever need.....then why are bow companies even making 80# limbs or like the Elite bows offering up to 90# limbs.

I guess these companies enjoy the expense of manufacturing limbs that have no use in the field of archery or bow hunting!!!!
Old 04-10-2007, 08:12 PM

You are right again Doublelung, some people aren't happy unless they have something to complain about. All I know is if I had a stubby little 27" draw length like Campo, I would definetly be shooting 80#'s so I could Use an arrow heavy enough to hunt with.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:14 PM

Hey Randini, Here's an even better question....how many deer have been killed with a 50 lb bow. I'm sure it's a lot, cause in all reality, that's all you need to kill a deer. So here's the real question to these guys whining about us 80# shooters, saying it's a "problem with testosterone levels", why are they shooting 70#??? All they need is 50#!!! Could it be that they shoot 70# to prove they are a man, or because they CAN??? Either way, if they COULD shoot an 80# bow, they would.....cause if they reallyAREN'T interested in overkill, they would be shooting 50# on there set ups.......Just a little "food for thought".
Old 04-11-2007, 11:22 PM

I got a cock strong LITTLE friend of mine that shoots 28" slow SB....Don't know the ends and outs of Mathews, but somehow, he special ordered 80# limbs for it. He shoots a 450 grain arrow about 285-290 fps. I shoot the same arrow almost 300 fps at 70#... I asked him why does he shoot 80# limbs. His answer: Cause I can and its the only way I can shoot a heavy enough arrow to blow through a front shoulder....not to mention, it's the only way I can keep up with you!!!!
Hated to inform him that I was about to leave him in the dust!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 04:45 AM

seriously, you guys should improve your shooting before talking smack. i mean, the groups you're talking about at the distances you're talking about - are really pretty bad, really bad in all honesty. the first pre-requisite for smack talking is actually being able to shoot - and y'all are quite a ways off from that. you just look dumb after posting your group sizes. i hate to have to say this - but you obviously didn't know.

Quick Reply: Who has a 80# Vulcan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.