Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Bow what would you buy ? >

Bow what would you buy ?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Bow what would you buy ?

Old 04-26-2007, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow what would you buy ?

If i could choose one i actually think i would give the High Country Iron Mace a go! I have looked at it and sure does look like a sweet bow.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:07 PM

I posted a similar post a few weeks back: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2064026&mpage=1&key=&#206402 6

I shot everyone of those bows listed and put at least a dozen arrows through them. That is what you should do is just shoot a bunch of them and pick what feels good for you in the shop and imagine yourself in that treestand, sitting for 3 hrs 15 degrees! The one bow that I did not list that I ended shooting was the Elite Synergy. In the end it came down to the Synergy and Cardiac. They arefast, quiet, minimal shock and priced right compared to their direct competitors! I shot these bows for 2 hrs in the shop, through a chrono, different arrows even different rests. In the end I chose the Cardiac due to the smoother draw for those cold mornings!

BSLugnut
Old 04-28-2007, 04:03 PM

I own it!Mathews drenalin 29- 70
New lightweight mathews quiver
Gold tip pro hunters
slick trick and tekan 2 100 grain broadheads
g5 optix me sight
vibracheck 7 in stabilizer
QAD ultra rest pro
Scott wildcat release
Skb bow case
New camo sts string supressor for fun the bow didnt realy need it but i like them bowhunting toys!
G5 1/4 in meta peep
Old 05-15-2007, 08:15 PM

LOTS of good bows. I still shoot the old Mathews Legacy. The newer mathews bows are betterbows overall, but I can flat shoot this bow.

But, if I was going to buy a brand new one it would be theSBXT. The Drenalin is probably OK but too new. Let them get the bugs out.

Narrow it down by shooting them. A big dealfor me, and I will put it right back on the hook, is if it has "jump" when you shoot it. Wants to jump forward on release. There are too many good bows, put that one back.

Look for none to very low Jump, none to very low Shock, and Quiet. Then look at speed if that is a concern. Don't be afraid to ask to shoot bows at a Pro Shop.

Some guys have forgotten more than I know butover the last 25 years I haveowned and hunted with,in this order. Bear recurve, Bear Whitetail compound, Browning Midas, Martin Cougar, Martin something (lynx maybe),Hoyt freaky loudcam something, Darton lightning, Darton viper, back to Martin Cougar,High Country Extreme, and then, the Mathews Legacy in '03.Have not had areason to change since then. Maybe this year to a SBXT.

Whatever it is worth.

Oops, forgot accessories. Mathews SBXT Factory bow Factory strings. String Leachs added, Simms S Coil Stabilizer, shooting loop, Cobra Sidewinder sight (5 Pin), and for hunting probably a Whisker Biscuit rest.Detachable Mathews quiver.
Tack drivin' son of a gun!
Old 05-15-2007, 10:14 PM

Browning Rage One or PSE Fire Storm with Whisker Biscuit rest and Tru Glo 4 or 5 pin sight and the 8 arrow PSE quiver.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:07 AM

I bought the Mathews Drenalin and I wasn't too thrilled with it. When I first shot it at my local archery shop I loved it. But, after shooting it for a while I realized the weight of this bow is not for someone who shoots 3D and also hunts. The bow is so light it just floats. I want to use the same set up for both 3D and hunting so I don't want to add a huge stabilizer or adda bunch of extras to go wrong when I'm in the field. So, I got rid of it.

I went back to the Archery shop to repeat the whole testing process again and shot every bow in the place twice. They never had the Hoyt Vulcan in so I traveled 3 hours away to test it out, and that was the best trip I've ever made. I couldn't believe the speed and how quiet this thing was. I was a little worried about the brace height, but I'm telling you this thing is one of the most forgiving bows I've ever shot. It is also the smoothest Hoyt I have ever drawn. I have never been a Hoyt fan, but after shooting the Vulcan...I was sold. If you haven't shot one, run to your local archery shop and you better bring your check book.

By the way, the first 3D shoot I took the Vulcan to I shot a 286. The best I shot with the Drenalin was a 268.