Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

What sight and why?

Old 01-31-2007, 11:18 AM

Default What sight and why?

I am a first time bow hunter and not sure what sight to get and why. Im trying to decide between the Extreme RT900 of the Cobra Sidewinder. I also dont know if its better for me to get a 5-pin or a 3-pin. Opinions would help.

Thanks
Old 01-31-2007, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What sight and why?

ORIGINAL: offroad7287

I am a first time bow hunter and not sure what sight to get and why. Im trying to decide between the Extreme RT900 of the Cobra Sidewinder. I also dont know if its better for me to get a 5-pin or a 3-pin. Opinions would help.

Thanks
I've got the RT900 w/4 pins (Ø.019 fiber),set at 20, 30, 40 & 50. 3-pins would be just fine, it just happened to come with 4. Really bright sight and well built. My suggestion would be to go and compare the 2 side by side and see which one you'd be comfortable with. Good luck, there are alot od good choices out there.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

I use the Cobra Sindwinder LX sight on my Tribute, and I like it- except for a couple of things. First, the fiber-optic cables are not guarded on the pins. I snagged one on some brush during a hunt last fall and tore the cable out of the pin(simple repair, but still a pain). Second, the cables come loose sometimes and slide through the pins, but a little crazy glue took care of that. Other than those two things I am very happy with the sight, and I really like that it is able to extend farther from the riser. I am not sure if the Sindwinder you are looking at does that, but you might check one out that does. Oh, and as far as pins- I like 5.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:24 PM

Thanks. Yea I didnt even realize that there were like 5 different types of sidewinders.I like the Sidewinder a lot but the RT900 seems to be a popular and well liked sight
Old 02-01-2007, 08:31 AM

I have the Extreme RT900 4 pin site just as the other guy above describe. IMO, you can't go wrong with it. My brother n law has it as well and is the one that turned me on to it. Can't beat the price either. I agree, 3 pins is enough, but the 4th pin is nice. I don't like hunting with the 5 pin sights for the simple fact that in the event when a quick shot is needed, it can be real easy to use the wrong pin....besides ifI really need to shoot a deer at 60 yards, I simply place the 50 yard pin at the top of the back and let her rip. But I would rather let them get closer, no point in taking a chance in wounding a nice buck. Whatever sight you go with, I think you should go with one that has .019 pins. If you shoot .029 and .019 side by side, you will see what I am talking about.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:50 AM

What is the benifits of the smaller pins?
Old 02-01-2007, 09:05 AM

Basically, the pin covers less of the target allowing you to be more precise with your shot placement. It's noticable at 30 yards, but very noticable beyond that. .029 pins just about cover the whole killzone of a deer at 40 yards. Of course, the further you can get the pins from the riser will help also....just try them out and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:25 AM

Good deal...at first I was like yea I definitely want the smaller pins then I was like naaa...It cant make to much of a difference. But i guess it can. One more question...

What is the benefit of having a sight that you can move back and forward? Is it good to have?
Old 02-01-2007, 09:32 AM
Dominant Buck

It's not one of th eones you mentioned.....but the Viper Predator Pro MT has everything the others does.....and mine has more. I ordered mine with .029 top and 2nd pins......and .010 3rd and 4th's.

Best of ALL worlds.....

Old 02-01-2007, 09:34 AM

Thanks Jeff,

What is the benefit of having a sight that you can move back and forward? Is it good to have?

Quick Reply: What sight and why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.