Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
spot hogg Barebones  sight >

spot hogg Barebones sight

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

spot hogg Barebones sight

Old 11-25-2002, 09:17 PM
pup

Default spot hogg Barebones sight

do any of you have this sight and what is everyone opinion on this sight? are the fiber optics protected good ??

small but deadly
Old 11-25-2002, 10:02 PM

Default RE: spot hogg Barebones sight

I use the SpotHogg barebones on two of my bows.

What I like is it mounts close to the riser, so you are not always whacking the sight as you move around. Well protected, but a bit of a disadvantage for very fast bows and longer shots, where you might want the sight to be way out there. Fiber optics are protected fine. There are two things I don't like - the hoop is a bit thicker than I would like, and the part that faces you when you shoot is outlined with a white circle. White is a poor choice to use. The Copper Johns that I use on other bows have an orange circle outline which I prefer, basically it is easier for you eye to see through. (For the same reason that white bug netting offers more privacy than black bug netting.)
Old 11-25-2002, 10:42 PM
pup

i am shooting around 55 60 pounds do you think the shortnes might be a problem?? and what do you meen by hoop? could the white thing be painted?? so do you think the copper john is a better sight?

small but deadly
Old 11-26-2002, 01:38 PM

I use the SpotHogg on a fast 70 pound bow, but only with one pin, for hunting. I think people who shoot at more distant targets prefer to have the sight farther out from the riser so their pins are better separated.

By the "hoop" I mean the circular shaped pin protector. The white circle on the SpotHogg appears to be painted in a groove, but it might be tape.

I like the SpotHogg and I like the CopperJohns. The SpotHogg is more rugged, both because of its construction and where it mounts. The CopperJohns is still very strong, but mounts out farther. I like the view through the CopperJohns better, because it doesn't have the white ring ( uses orange instead), and the hoop wall thickness is thinner.

Frankly I think you would be happy with either. If you want ruggedness, and are the type of person who likes to ignore what your bow bangs into, tend to throw the bow into vehicles without worrying about putting in a case - get the SpotHogg. If you prefer a sight that is mounted further from the riser, is still very strong but maybe not as bullet proof as the SpotHogg, has a beautiful view through it, you tend to take longer shots and like the fact it is a little cheaper, get the Copper John. If you are worried about "pin damage", well I did manage to have a fiber pulled from a pin in one of the Copper Johns somehow, and that has not happened with either of the SpotHoggs I have.

Both are excellent sights, and as I said, I don't think you would be disappointed with either. I have read a lot of posts on these two sights and no one but me has complained about the use of a white ring in the SpotHogg. The reports if I recall on both sights were all full of praises.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:53 PM
pup

my bow does get banged aroung alot but i would also like to be able to shoot out to like say 50 yards for 3d know do you think that because it is so close in i wont be able to get enough ajustment out of it or that i will but the pins will be closer together???

small but deadly
Old 11-26-2002, 08:16 PM

I dunno. Back in the summer I remember seeing lots of posts regarding these sights, maybe somebody else has more experience with the bare bones for 3D shooting.