HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Mathews, Bear, Hoyt (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/170431-mathews-bear-hoyt.html)

longbeardbuster 12-15-2006 08:44 PM

Mathews, Bear, Hoyt

A friend and I went to a bow shop today and we tried out the
Mathews Drenalin, Bear Primos Truth, the new Hoyt. The Drenalin was
very different looking, very slim limbs and no limb pockets. It had a very
smooth draw and seemed to be pretty fast. The Truth bow was the best
looking Bear bow that I have seen. It was not as smooth on the draw as
the Drenalin or the new Hoyt and seemed to have more vibration but seemed to have good speed. The new Hoyt, I think was called Vetrix or something like that andwas smooth and fast but seemed a bit heavier than the Drenalin. Just thought I would give my 2 cents worth. Has
anyone else tried out these bows and what did you think?

Doubled 150 12-15-2006 09:00 PM

RE: Mathews, Bear, Hoyt

I shot the FredBear Truth. I haven't shot the Drenalin or the Vetrix but I did shoot a Switchback and a Trykon. They're all really nice. I'm going with Fred Bear but I haven't decided if it will be the Truth or the Code. I chose Fred Bear simply because, personally, I can't tell enough difference among all of them to justify paying $300 more. JMHO. Good luck!

nwochuck 12-16-2006 06:47 AM

Always remember Fred Bear always wanted everyone to enjoy archery. The company has kept this in mind. I have owned 8 bows in my time and only one was not a Bear. (It was a gift)

stalkingbear 12-26-2006 09:52 AM

My first compound bow was a bear whitetail hunter in 1977. After some years of shooting/hunting it wore out. Then I was an avid hoyt fan for years. A few years after mathews came on the scene,I became hooked on mathews ever since. I haven't shot the drenlin,but I do have a switchback XT,and love it. The bottom line is that you cannot go wrong with any of the top bows. Get the one that feels/shoots the best for you.

truth878 01-01-2007 06:43 PM

I agree with stalkingbear. I went to replace my bow this year and this time went into it more open minded. I've shot hoyts since I was 12. I went to several different stores and shot as many bows as I could. I stongly agree that u can't go wrong with any of the top end bows. Each bow has there own good and no so good points, but again it depends on the shooter. I was stuck between the Mathews, Hoyt, and Bear. With money not being an issue, I went to Bear after using Hoyts for 16 years. The only improvement I would like to see on the Bear would be a smoother draw such as the Hoyt and Mathews. They are all GREAT bows. However, I am very happy with the new Truth. quiet, fast, and accurate.

TEmbry 01-01-2007 07:19 PM

vectrix extremely fast and quiet. i agree it is a touch heavier though. look below to see what my decision was.

gzg38b 01-03-2007 10:13 PM

That's a good point. The top of the line bows for 800 bucks aren't always all that much better than some of the 400 dollar bows out there. The slight bit of speed and smoothness that you gain doesn't really justify the extra 300 - 400 dollars IMO. That's why I'm looking at Pearson bows right now.

Shootem up870 01-04-2007 09:24 AM

i havent shot the drenalin, but i have shot the vectrix (obviously) and the truth. the vectrix is the smoothest bow to draw i have ever shot, compared to all mathews excluding the drenalin and any previous hoyt or bowtech. we cannot sell mathews or bowtech so my choices were the ross, hoyt, or the bear, its obvious which one appealed most to me. i am happy with my decision:D

PreacherTony 01-04-2007 02:53 PM

Ihave been hunting with a 12 year old setup and I will tell you what .... after shooting all the new bows this year, I would have been extatic with any and all off them! I had a tremendous Christmas, and my options were wide open. I did not have any loyalty to any company. I just shot all the top of the line and some middle of the line bows. I went with the Drenalin because ...... um ...... I liked it the best .... for me. I can tell you that I would have been just as confident with a Hoyt, Bear, Ross, Bowtech .... etc. I can't wait till my present comes in!!!:D

IL-Cornfed 01-06-2007 07:22 PM

LOL! It's almost funny to see anyone mention a Fred Bear in the same sentence as Mathews and Hoyt! WOW, it's amazing how some folks' opinions can vary so much. From fit and finish to pure performance I have never seen a Bear that would compete with the best offerings from the Big 2. To each their own, I guess?