Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Black Hawk Vapor ACA Arrow Shafts >

Black Hawk Vapor ACA Arrow Shafts

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Black Hawk Vapor ACA Arrow Shafts

Old 11-24-2002, 11:00 AM

Default Black Hawk Vapor ACA Arrow Shafts

Black Hawk Vapor ACA Camo Arrow Shafts:

Construction: Multi-Layered Laminated Carbon

Weight Tolerance: +/- 3 grains
Spine Tolerance: +/- .75
Straightness Tolerance: +/- 0.003
Shaft Weight per inch: 9.5gpi (size 4000)
V-Knock: 8 grains
8-32 Aluminum Insert

Overview:
I’ll start off point blank; I am apprehensive and untrusting of any shaft made by anyone but Easton. I even was a little slow to try Bemans and they are owned by Easton! Well anyway my dealer asked me to try these out, he said he liked the camo & stuff and they seemed like a good shaft.

Well I got a dozen shafts and upon inspection they have a great camo finish. Black Hawk calls it Radiant Armor Camo Coating. I will saw this is smoothest finish I have ever seen on a carbon arrow! I mean silky smooth and no ripples. My first impressions of this shaft was very good, much better finish and smoothness than any Beman camo shaft I have seen.

Rating system: 1 = poor, 10 = best.

Durability: 10 - This shaft is more durable that aluminum I have had no problems with them breaking or splintering out where the nock attaches. The finish is tough as nails and doesn’t wear off.

Quality: 10 – The dozen I have is A+ I can’t say anything negative about them at all.

Weight Tolerance: 10 – The shafts fell right in the specs the manufacturer said they would.

Straightness: 9 – Very straight shaft that falls right in there with most good carbons. They are not as straight as XX78 Super Slams but then again I have never seen a carbon that was.

Price: 10 – They cost around 65.00 a dozen for the shafts, which is a little cheaper than the Beman camo shaft. I think this is a fair price for any good quality carbon arrow with a camo finish.

Shoot Ability: 10 - These shafts tune easy, fly great, hit where they are aimed & always group super tight. What more can you ask for?

Total Score: 9.8

Final Comment: If you have not tried this shaft give it a try. I think you will really like it and find it is one of the best 100% carbon hunting shafts on the market. So far I have not had any bad experiences with this shaft and I plan on using them for a while. If they continue to perform this way I will end up making them my new pet shaft and may even give their 23 Speed shaft a try for 3-D. I have seen some negative remarks about these arrows on the Internet but I don’t see how, these shafts are 100% quality!
Old 11-27-2002, 04:55 PM

Default RE: Black Hawk Vapor ACA Arrow Shafts

Moonge- Just tried some of these shafts, except for the price your dead-on. Shafts - Points - Nocks like well over $100 ouch!!! I'm trying the NAA size 4000S, man these are "light" arrows. Had trouble grouping using a older GK rest with a big v-blade on it, at 20 yds group real bad 5", I suspected light arrow and no clearance with the launcher, next time used a tuner rest w/blade (theirs) not cleance problem now and shoot left/right groups in the X rind(9 & 3 o'clock on x line, couldn't quite tune them in tight enough, blame myself was getting tired anyways BUT they look promising, will try a diffent set-up next time as moving rest left/right and nocking point didn't really help much, but made it my group better. lots of time to play, now if I didn't throw away the GK free fall rest away, hated it.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:14 PM
Spike

I have a small gunsmithing/archery shop and have been selling the Blackhawk Vapor shafts since they came out. Have customers that prefer them over the Gametracker AFC shafts I had mostly sold before. They claim the Vapor are a tougher shaft. Haven't had anyone complain about them. Besides they are made in USA, not overseas.
Old 11-29-2002, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do hope you meant .075 on the spine tolerance and not .75. Man that's 3/4".

Old 12-02-2002, 02:25 PM

Mon. -After shooting thursday nite (yes Thanksgiving) Sat. and Sunday, changing rests to a GK Premier with a small blade and a light spring setting, paper test was great. 5 Yds slight left tear 1/2 upwards (looks good) 10 yds bullet hole, 15 yds very slight tear left, I didn't try 20 yds. added weight to point them arrows just won't group getting flyers out in the 8 ring "ouch", its like their planing (but then the paper test doesn't show that) So maybe my new Wheely bow shoot them better (faster) then my pro-tec. I've tried everything. arrows 4000s cut at 26" with a CC Pro-Tec and a loop weight 51 lbs, drawnlenght 25.25. As you see with my short drawnlength was hoping thses arrows would work. David
Old 12-04-2002, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

moonge:

Glad to hear that your experience with these arrows has been good. I got a half dozen to try out, and the results have been not nearly as good as yours. Four of my arrows group fine, one is usually out of the group a bit, and one shoots way out (3" @ 30 yards) of the group. I have shot it enough times with similar results to know that it is not my shooting, which I first suspected. I hope my experience is the exception and not the rule. I have 6 of these, plus 10 CE's (the local pro shop likes CE's), but I just might switch back to aluminum for next year. I might just have a full retro outfit!

Avoid the inevitable until it is absolutely unavoidable!
Old 12-07-2002, 08:24 PM

Just a note guys.....my good buddy IL-Cornfed also tried these out & after shooting them for a while had some problems. I'll keep you posted once I get to shoot some more.