Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Expandables versus fixed broadheads >

Expandables versus fixed broadheads

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Expandables versus fixed broadheads

Old 11-29-2006, 07:19 AM

Default Expandables versus fixed broadheads

I have been using expandables since I restarted bow hunting 3 years ago. I am aware that the advantage to expandables is suppose to be improved flight and longer range accuracy versus fixed broadheads. I also realize that fixed broadheads have better pentration. What are other pros and cons of each, as I am debating going to fixed broadheads. Thanks ahead of time.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:59 AM

Default RE: Expandables versus fixed broadheads

if you goto fixed i would highly recommend the g5 montec. i have been useing them for 3 years now and they are just awesome. they fly just like a field tip and you get great penetration. i have not lost a deer in the three years that i have been useing them...
Old 11-30-2006, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

if you want to get good penitration just get some rocket steelheads ive shot through both shoulders of quite a few deer and have gotten total pass throughs every time except two straight down spine shots where i got more then half the arrow through the spine and into the lungs.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mechanical Pros:
Usually fly like field points.
Larger cutting diameter - better blood trails

Mechanical Cons:
Moving parts = potential for failure (Blades don't always open)
Thinner, unsupported blades break easier
Penetration my suffer if Kinetic Energy is less than 60 ft lbs KE
The ones with the rubber band are a pain to practice with.

Fixed Pros:
More reliable - blades are always open (piece of mind)
Stronger - more durable, especially on bone hits.

Fixed Cons:
Often don't fly like field points especially if your bow is not well tuned

Old 12-02-2006, 08:45 PM

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

The ones with the rubber band are a pain to practice with.

Wrap dental floss around the broadhead a half dozen times, or so,and tie it off tight. Works slick.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:43 PM
Typical Buck

I use both.3 arrow quiver- 2 nap spitfires- 1 rocky mt. premier the spitfires are my first choice,bigger cutting dia. bleed the deer out,he will die faster.For shots involving grass,leaves,pine needles,or anything that may cause the blade to open in flight I will use the fixed blade
Old 12-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bottom line-are you completely happy with the performance of your current heads? If you are then why change? Ever hear the quote-if it ain't broke,don't fix it ?

Old 12-29-2006, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Red Lion

I have been using expandables since I restarted bow hunting 3 years ago. I am aware that the advantage to expandables is suppose to be improved flight and longer range accuracy versus fixed broadheads. I also realize that fixed broadheads have better pentration. What are other pros and cons of each, as I am debating going to fixed broadheads. Thanks ahead of time.
mechinical heads, you must shoot behind shoulder or neck..they are not good if you hit bone or take shot in back etc..i would not even thinking of using them unless behind shoulder..some dont open and deer is wounded

fixed blades will do eveything well, cut, and dont glance off deer..they fly just as well as the mechinicals as long as you tune your bow etc..

i have both but the fix blade is best..many deer are being wounded with mechinical blades because hunters think they can hit deer anywhere..

if they hit bone ,they may not open..i never had that happen because i always shoot behind shoulder..

i heard of many deer found deer do to bad shots with mechinical heads..

Old 12-29-2006, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sproulman
..they are not good if you hit bone ...
I'm not going to agree or disagree but I will show my example. If you look closely at this photo, you'll see the entry point of my broadhead.

I used the Rage 2-Blade expandable.

I don't have the rest of the photos but the broadhead hit the left shoulder bone and shreaded the bottom muscle, broke a rib on her left side and broke another rib on the opposite side upon exit and stuck in the ground.

I shoot a mathews xt, 29" draw with 28 ΒΌ inch carbon express maxima arrows. My draw weight is around 67-68lbs. I do not know what my speed is. When I tried to chronograph it, one arrow would be 300 but the next would be 220, then 255, etc. They were all over the place so I disregarded the info.

I'll post another comment with a closer pic of the entry wound.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

entry

Quick Reply: Expandables versus fixed broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.