Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Need Advice On Old Bow

Old 11-21-2006, 05:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Need Advice On Old Bow

Hey, I'm not a bow hunter and don't know one end of one from another. I got a Black Bear 11 yesterday in trade. I think this is a pretty early compound bow and I was wondering if it could be upgraded or if it is even worth tinkering with? I'm going to the bowshop today to try to pick up a new string for it and some arrows.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need Advice On Old Bow

I'm sure that bow is still capable of killing deer. That said the operatopr has to be capable as well. It can't compare to todays rigs but may be just what you need to get started. Have the shop check it out and make sure it fits you. If the draw length is not right for you it will be very difficult to shoot accuratly with any consistancy. Bowhunting takes a lot of practice to beconfident in your abilities and proficient enough to make a clean ethical kill so take your time getting ready to hunt with that bow. I personally would not want to hunt without having at least a few weeks of experience shooting a new bow. Good luck with it and let us know how it works out for you.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

I'm sure that bow is still capable of killing deer. That said the operatopr has to be capable as well. It can't compare to todays rigs but may be just what you need to get started. Have the shop check it out and make sure it fits you. If the draw length is not right for you it will be very difficult to shoot accuratly with any consistancy. Bowhunting takes a lot of practice to beconfident in your abilities and proficient enough to make a clean ethical kill so take your time getting ready to hunt with that bow. I personally would not want to hunt without having at least a few weeks of experience shooting a new bow. Good luck with it and let us know how it works out for you.
Thanks txjourneyman, I doubt that I use it in my deerhunting this yr for all the reasons you've mentioned. I've been procrastinating for yrs about buying a bow but hav'nt been willing to spend the bucks to find out if I felt I could be accurate enough to take a deer cleanly with it consistantly. I just want to make sure it's set up to where it will function the way it's supposed to and I can start practicing.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Looking like I'm going to have trouble getting stuff for the bow. I went to get a bowstring today and the bow shop rep told me I may could get one across the state line as it's going to be hard to find a shop that carries the type string the old bear uses.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's baloney. All you need is the right length string and it must be dacron. Any good bow shop should have one or at least be able to order one.

TX gave you some good advice. DRAWLENGTH. Get it right. If you err at all do it slightly on the short side. DRAWLENGTH is the most important feature of a compound bow.