HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Trophy Ridge Rhino 5 pin sight, or other? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/165543-trophy-ridge-rhino-5-pin-sight-other.html)

rangerstud620 11-16-2006 06:39 PM

Trophy Ridge Rhino 5 pin sight, or other?

I'm looking at getting a new sight that has a level on it. I currently have a Black Gold. I've heard some good things about the Trophy Ridge sights. Anyone have any experience with the Trophy Ridge Rhino? Specifically with the micro .019" pins. Cabela's has this sight on sale for $99.99. Any other suggestions for sights? thanks!

txjourneyman 11-17-2006 06:27 AM

RE: Trophy Ridge Rhino 5 pin sight, or other?

Funny, I just got rid of a TR sight, (its now on my wifes bow), and put on a Black Gold Dusk Devil! I'll never go back to TR. I love my Dusk Devil.

huntnfool11 11-17-2006 07:31 AM

One thing I will tell anyone is that choosing a sight is really more personal preference than anything. If you like the Trophy Ridge Vertical in-line pin technology, then TR is your best bet. I have used TR for 4 years and the only issue I have is they are not very "robust" or "tough" (as I had two buddies that had their sights fall off the bow while shooting). They are a great design, just not enough quality is put into them (my opinion of course). I like the new G5 sights and would suggest looking at them. The dusk devils (as TXjourneyman said) are also very nice. I would go to the local store (orCabelas if you have one nearby)and actually touch and feel and try out each sight they have. See what you like looking at and what you think would feel the best when you are drawn on any animal or target.

rangerstud620 11-17-2006 09:32 AM

My only complaint with my current sight is the size of the pins. They seem like they cover up too much of the animal/target, even at closer distances (25 yds). I stopped by Scheels last night and checked out their selection. It looked to me like the actual fiber optic pins on the BG sights are larger than most other sights. Maybe it's just the design but that's how it appeared to me.

txjourneyman 11-17-2006 10:33 AM

Black Gold does have different sizes available. Unfortunatly I don't know for sure what they are. I think mine are .019? Anyway, Mine are nice and bright and don't impede my view. The reason I took the TR off is that when I was in shadow and my target was in sunlight I could not see any pins besides the 20. With the difference in light it looked like I only had 1 pin. So the vertical pin thing just wasn't for me. I would have had a 35 yd broadside shot at a doe but had to pass because I couldn't make out the 30 & 40 yd pins. And this was on a sunny morning. That evening I bought the DD. Try sitting in a blind or heavy shade and looking at your pins with a target out in the sun.

HYDE 11-20-2006 04:06 PM

I have also replaced my TR with a Dusk Devil. I have the .019 pins on my dusk devil, I also had the .019 pins on my TR. I didn't like the verticle design of the pins. It covers up the whole vital area of a target/deer, and as stated before it is very difficult to make out any pins other than your top pin. Another proplem with the TR is it makes it very difficult to gap anything ie: if your pins are 20, 30, etc.it is almost impossible to accurately split the difference with the verticle design. Anyway just my 2 cents. If you don't like the size of your pins, just replace them. I think it is like $10/pin for the micro pins .019, you could replace all five pins for $50, have a new site, and money in your pocket.

Hyde

rangerstud620 11-21-2006 11:40 AM

Thanks for the info...I've been steered away from TR :D. I'm now looking at a BG Flashpoint or Spott-Hogg Real Deal. The Spott-Hogg looks nice, but is more $$$ and I'm not sure I would use all of it's features. The Flashpoint pins are super-bright compared to the other sights I looked at.

HYDE, I thought about buying new pins but I'd like to get a sight with a round sight window and a level...mine has neither.