Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Climbing Sticks

Old 11-14-2006, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Climbing Sticks

I'm looking for advice on some portable climbing sticks. I think I have it narrowed down to either the Summitbuck steps or the Lone Wolf steps. I like to hunt from around the 20 ft. level if I can. Any help from someone with experience with either of these would be a great help. I use the Summit climber when I can find the right tree but as you know it doesn't always workout that way. Thanks for any help.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Climbing Sticks

I've got both, but haven't had the opportunity to use the Buck Steps yet... I can tell you however that if you want to get to 20 ft. with the Lone Wolfs, it's definitely gonna take four of them. Other than that, they're nice steps. Hopefully, I'll get to use the Summits soon and can check back in with some feedback for you.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

TK, whatI always liked to do was build my own. I think the ones you buy are over priced. What I like to do is get some solid square tubing and make it the frame, then get some smaller tubing, like 3/4". I then weld the smaller tubes alternativly, just like a climbing stick. You may not have a great access to these supplies, but this is an option. Most tubing comes in 20' pieces

xenia
Old 11-15-2006, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Before buying either... Look at the climbing sticks by Gorilla. The only two places I have found them are at Gander and at Farm&Fleet. They are 4 ft long, only cost 12.99 per stick so you can buy as many as you want. I bought eight and I have 3 on one tree and 5 on the other. They are by far the best I've seen/used and with the price a way better deal than either of the ones you are looking at.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:12 AM

What do these climbing sticks weigh?

Old 11-15-2006, 06:46 PM

not very "portable" but i use tv towers for my hang on stands. (the kind that is a triangle so to speak with rungs all they way to the top. 10 foot sections so u can hunt from 80 ft if wanted. best part is people PAY ME to take these down and to think they double as a deer stand ladder.) i use these when i build my own wooden stands. very solid stand with a huge platform that id rather hunt from than any commercial stand. cost to me- one days work and absolutely ZERO money
Old 11-16-2006, 07:00 AM
Banned

I have Lone wolf and gorilla climbing sticks; both are awesome, lightweight, and made of alluminum. The gorillas didn't pivot on the back V like the lone wolfs do so I grinded the lip down so they pivot like the lone wolf's. Gorilla robbed lone wolf's idea and basically copied them.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

I've tried both the Summit Bucksteps and Lone Wolf sticks. I much prefer the LW sticks over the Bucksteps. I did a simple test in a tree in my back yard. Though both hooked up solid, a Buckstep slightly veered or leaned while the pivoting brackets on the LW does just what it says, it pivots. I had an uneasy feeling when the Buckstep leaned. The only improvement I would suggest LW make with their sticks is to design the actual step area to protrude out more, so your foot is farther from the tree. With heavy boots on, they could give a little more foot area.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

I have Lone wolf and gorilla climbing sticks; both are awesome, lightweight, and made of alluminum. The gorillas didn't pivot on the back V like the lone wolfs do so I grinded the lip down so they pivot like the lone wolf's. Gorilla robbed lone wolf's idea and basically copied them.
They also got sued and are no longer producing them.

If you're looking for climbing sticks do yourself a favor and get the Lone Wolf sticks. I promise you that you won't be dissatisfied with them. Some of the best money I've ever spent on hunting gear. They're light, portable, quiet, solid, they stack together and strap down to your stand for easy carrying/transport, and if you space them correctly and put your stand above the last stick you can get to 16-18 feet no problem. I personally use 4 sticks to get that high becauce it's a little easier, but it's definitely doable with only 3.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

The gorilla sticks I'm talking about are not the "copy" of the Lone Wolf. They are just a basic tree step with that look like I---I---I (lying on its side). Like I said, I've never found them anywhere but Gander and Farm and Fleet.

Quick Reply: Climbing Sticks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.