Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Broadhead size

Old 11-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default Broadhead size

Does anyone use a one inch or smaller broadhead on deer? I was thinking about the 85 grain Magnus Stinger that is 7/8" wide on a light speed shaft.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Broadhead size

Kinda a small cutting dia. The wider the better!!
Old 11-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MC Bowhunter

Kinda a small cutting dia. The wider the better!!
That is what I was thinking...
Old 11-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not so, guys. Wider emans you need more weigh to push the extra friction. More possiblity of hitting bone. There are less planing and tuning issues with narrow heads simply due to less surface area. There is more game killed with heads measuring 1'- 1 1/4" wide than all other heads put together. It's always been that way. The wider cutting head will kill an animal maybe two seconds quicker, but only if it's put in the right place.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:32 PM
Fork Horn

accuracy is the most important thing. put a field tip in both lungs and the deer is still gonna die. more cut does help esp with poor shot placement. my brothers like bigger heads cause he usually shoot his deer farther back and ive seen three of his intestine shot deer die withing 75yrds. i like 1.25 cause that seems to be the most common and i think it does the job well kind of a happy medium. my other brother usues 7/8 cut heads and has had poor trails and lost two deer one of which we found 1/2 mile away a week later with a liver shot. we didnt push that deer at all came back 12hrs later with a bigger cut i really feel we would have found the deer but it still was the shot placement that hurt him not the head.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:36 AM

The wider the better. I recommend at least an inch diameter blades.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:39 PM

Earlier this season I was using a cheap broadhead 100 grain with 1 1/4 inch cut. Now after having missed three deer this year, my buddy suggested what he was using so I invested in some Horton FX broadheads 100 grain and 7/8 inch cut. I love em they're the best fixed broadhead I have ever shot, the really do shoot just like a field point. They closely resemble a muzzy, but they're tougher! There's a great deal on them on Ebay right now. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&sspagename=S TRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=11001758439 3&rd=1&rd=1
Old 11-14-2006, 03:42 PM

Kinda small cutting dia, The wider the better
I disagree, unless you're using an expandable broadhead. The wider the cut the more likely they are to windplane from my past experiences.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

Hmm... How 'bout staying in the middle with Slick Trick 1" cut.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:12 PM
CJW

I have nothing but good things to say about my Rocket Ultimate Steels, except I wish they'de put more threads on the shank so they'de screw in further. 7/8" cutting diameter.

Cameron

Quick Reply: Broadhead size

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.