Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

scent lock clothing

Old 10-16-2006, 05:51 PM

Default RE: scent lock clothing

Don't buy into all the new latest stuff. Before I hunted out of stands I hunted (bow and rifle) in blue jeans and a carhartt jacket and killed more deer than I do now. HELL, just yesterday I took a shower with regular soap, got ready to go out to the store and decided at the last min to take my bow out in the woods. so with blue jeans and a bright yellow shirt on, after I've taken a shower, I sat up against a random tree and had two doe and one buck walk within 10 yards of me. None of which even knew I was there. I would have shot if I would have had a shooting lane but again, it was just a random tree. This situation has happened to me many times over. Sure I SUPPOSE all this scentless soap and scent lock expensive clothes may help but I'll never use them. IMHO its a waste of my money.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old 10-17-2006, 05:42 AM
Typical Buck

You can't possibly know that "nothing has winded me". How do you know that you have not been winded by a deer that was far enough away that you never knew he/she was there? They don't always go off blowin and snortin when they smell something.
Just last night I had one coming right down the path from behind me...a decent young buck...he was checking the wind as he walked and got scent of me and simply turned and walked the other way. I just happened to be looking behind my tree when I saw him. Otherwise he would have slipped away without me ever knowing he had been there.
I guess it's partly the "macho hunter" in us, but we seem not to want to admit that we miss seeing deer. I'm convinced that all of us...even the most seasoned hunters here miss seeing deer that we don't even know were there.
Just my .02, you think and do what sits best for you.

ORIGINAL: nodog

Well try wearing your hunting clothes without washing them for days, only putting them in the dryer after 3 days of hunting. If you can do that without getting busted down wind of many critters not just deer let me know. I can do just that with my scentlok. I haven't washed it once this year and have a great many hours of hunting in and some in warm weather. Nothing to date has winded me, nothing and many have been directly down wind. They are on their 3rd season. No animal has known I was there and I haven't even washed them or sprayed them down. I have been hunting in an area where animals are always on high alert and still not been busted.

Yes deer have fallen.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

IMO anyone that speaks poorly of scent lok or scent reducing clothing is simply too stubborn, old fashioned and just refuses to believe that new technology can in fact improve your hunting success.

I have worn scent lok for 5 years now. I will never enter my stands without it. In my experience it has TREMENDOUSLY reduced and maybe close to eliminated me being busted by deer. I sit in the stand close to 60 times a season so I'm no spring chicken here with the clothing.

I have no doubt that carbon will not completely re-charge. I have, however read the research that suggests that it can be partially re-charged. I keep mine in garbage bags and only wash / re-charge about 3 times a season. No cover scents and only wash in oderless wash. No earth scent / etc. You still have to keep the garment itself scent free. If you wear it intoa smokey bar it becomes useless forhunting IMO.

The concept works plain and simple. Take a rancid smelling object and place it under the fabric of a norman jacket. You'll smell it. Place it beneath the fabric of scent lok and it is completly undetectable. It works!

I can't believe anyone here is that ignorant to not try it themselves!
Old 10-17-2006, 09:49 AM

I can't believe anyone here is that ignorant to not try it themselves!

I've always heard, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I like my old fashion ways. They've been working great all my life
Old 10-17-2006, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ken the kid..Ive beenwaiting for someone to raise this scentquestion for over a year now!!!! HA HA HA