Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Need a ladder stand

Old 10-12-2006, 09:11 AM

Default Need a ladder stand

How funny is it when a deer hunter doesn't like heights? After nearly falling out of a tree stand several years ago I can not bring myself to go much higher than 15 feet up a tree. In addition, I had a hanging stand slip on me two years ago. Therefore, I am looking for a comfortable ladder stand that is about 15 feet high. Can anyone make any recommendations?
Old 10-13-2006, 05:13 PM

Default RE: Need a ladder stand

I've looked at the ones at Walmart. The price is right compared to some others I've seen but I wonder about safety ? Are they really as safe as the more expensive ones that are rated for the same weight limit ? Anyone tried one and /or what are peoples thoughts on the cheap vs more expensive ? Sorry hldeerhunter for asking more questions than I answer but I think we're kind of asking the same question here.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:58 PM

The ladder stands at walmart are fine. I own 2 of them. If you do your part and assemble them correctly, you will be fine. There are other good ones too. Go to Bass Pro Shops and look around. Anything there is a good piece of equipment. You can decide what you like and then search the net to look for better pricing, if you wish. There is another place that sells on e-bay. The name is Buck Lake Post. www.bucklakepost.com . They have a few stands at reasonable prices. I bought a 20 ft. Ladder from them Last year.

I just checked the link and they are reconstructing the web site...sorry.

Don't fear the stands though. Get a ladder, assemble it correctly, secure it to the tree, WELL, put a steel cable and lock set-up on it to prevent theft, and you are ready.

I will say though that when I set mine up, I use a climbing stand to go up the tree the stand will be on, have a friend to help you raise the stand ( him on the ground - you up the tree ) and raise the stand and secure it with a good ratchet strap, but not too tight. Let your friend climb the ladder to put weight on the stand and seat it to the ground and tree, then with him on it, tighten the ratchet strap. Good and tight. That stand will not go anywhere until you take it there.

Good luck and God Bless
Old 10-14-2006, 05:25 AM
Dominant Buck

15' Stealth ladder stand

This is the one I have , it was $113 delivered right to my door . Assemble them properly and secure them well and you won't have problems . Inspect them occasionally to ensure safety .
Old 10-14-2006, 05:07 PM

I don't like heights either so I know where you're coming from. I just bought a ladder stand this year and think there's 2 things that you'll want to look for. 1) a big platform. some ladder stands have platforms barely big enough for your boots. 2) a rail of some sort on 2 or 3 sides.

I ended up buying the Grizzly Michael Waddell stand from Cabelas. I just got it up the other day and haven't had a chance to hunt out of it yet but so far it seems like it'll work out nicely. It was abit over$200 with shipping if I remember right.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

You might want to check out Menards- I found a pretty decent tree stand with spots for two people for like $120 Seemed really sturdy too- thats the one I would get but where I hunt the trees arent big enough
Old 10-15-2006, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want the best ladder stand you must buy the Strong Built 15' basic ladder stand. If you can wait, Basspro will offer them for 59.99 every once in a while.

they have the largest platforms and seats. Along with a rail that goes from the seat area along the sides of the platform. It makes me feel much safer when standing. My hunting club has six of these stand and wont buy anything else. You have to hunt from one to know what i mean.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

I bought 3 Big Game Brand 15' ladder stands last year at Gander Mt. They work nice and are reasonabally comfortable. Whatever stand you choose, be sure to purchase a cable lock for it. One of the three that I got last year was stolen before I ever hunted from it. I purchased the Master Lock Python lock and they are all still there.

I also built a 20' stand this year which I hunted from for the first time yesterday. I made it with a 3'x'3' platform for easy movement. The only bad thing was we just barely got it set up with three people! it was pretty heavy. I will share my design with you if you are interested in making one.

MIKE
Old 10-16-2006, 01:18 PM

My father and I own three strong built tri-pod stands. Love em. The only reason I want the ladder stand is to get into some tighter spots where the tri-pod won't fit.