Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 sharpness of Muzzy blades >

sharpness of Muzzy blades

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

sharpness of Muzzy blades

Old 10-09-2006, 08:40 PM

Default sharpness of Muzzy blades

I've been bow hunting for nearly 20 years and I've been happy with Muzzy broadheads for years. Recently I had an opportunity to run another brand of broadhead across the hairs on the back of my hand and was amazed by the sharpness of the blades. It got me to thinking that I need to sharpen my Muzzy blades. Right out of the box they seem sharp but not as sharp as these other blades. I've always felt that a blade should shave hair like a razor.
Am I worried over nothing?
Old 10-10-2006, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: sharpness of Muzzy blades

Nope, I don't think so. You want your broadheads as sharp as possible. If you like Muzzys you should look into Slick Tricks. I've never been overly impressed with the aluminum ferrule on the Muzzys even though I used to shoot them exclusively. I feel like the steel ferrule of the Slick Tricks is stronger and the blades are definitely thicker and sharper.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

Slow, I shoot 75 grain muzzy's and agree that the sharpness is just not there. I started sharpening my blades right out of the package.
I also use my old blades to practice with, instead of the practice blades that are included.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:28 AM

yep, i usually shoot magnus, but had to switch it up being that they were all sold out of blades where i live... so i got some muzzy's to last me the two weeks until i could order some new magnus stingers... nevertheless, i opened the new muzzy's and they weren't even as sharp as the stingers that i'd been shooting through targets with all summer!
i decided to try and sharpen the stingers myself and nailed a doe w/ it 2 weeks ago... quartering away it went through the far shoulder and still stuck in the ground 3-4"!!
Old 10-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

Ill give you they are not the sharpest blade but i have never had any trouble with them, all but one were pass throughs
Old 10-10-2006, 10:47 AM

Okay, here's my problem, I live and hunt in NY where the bow season opens Saturday. Why I waited this long to post my question can be attributed to "oldtimers" I guess. My feeling is that even if there are sharper blades than the Muzzy blades I really can't and won't begin from stratch with a new broadhead. Enough deer have been taken with Muzzy's, some even by me so that's what I'll stick with for the time being.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:48 AM

What do you use to sharpen your Muzzy's with? Its a very hard steel and not easily worked.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont want to ever have to sharpen my broadheads out of the box. I would probably do more harm than good. Muzzy's have taken 30+ deer for me and have never lost a deer due to broadhead. And in fact last year when I took my buck it was the end of the season and I went in the woods with one new broadhead (Muzzy 3 blade 100grains) and 2 that had already killed deer that season but were in my quiver for backup purposes. I shot a doe with the new broadhead and while waiting the buck came in10 min.later. Stuck him with the Muzzy that was shot on a passthru doe earlier in the season and had another passthru on this buck and watched him fall 40 yards from my stand. Now I don't normally shoot old heads but at the time I had no time to get to the store .( I live in farm country) Anyway I think your worries are justified I just think in my opinion your worrying over nothing. Muzzys are plenty sharp enough out of the box. Damn near cut my finger off 10 years ago on one removing my quiver.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

I've been using Muzzy 100 gr 3 blade for the last 7 years and have killed 9 deer with them. All, but one, were complete pass throughs and I never have figured out why the one didn't. It was the closest, 5 yards, and walked off with the arrow sticking out. I found him 40 yards from the shot and the arrow was gone. Maybe they could be sharper, I don't know, I can't complain.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:26 PM

I shoot 100 gr. 3 blade muzzy's and I cannot complain. They have always been a good head for me, but I have thought about trying others, like the Montec G5, and the slick trick. I always am willing to try new things, but I KNOW the Muzzy's will work, and I will take them into the woods until I find a brand that can completely knock the socks off of the muzzy, and that would take some doing.

Quick Reply: sharpness of Muzzy blades

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.