HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Laser Rangefinder POLL / question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/156529-laser-rangefinder-poll-question.html)

MichaelT. 09-16-2006 07:30 AM

Laser Rangefinder POLL / question

I am about to buy a new laser rangefinder. I have never owned one before. I am looking for good opinions, facts, etc.... what should I look for in one. Is one brand preferable over another, ie.... Nikon over bushnellor are they pretty much the same? And does the power factor 4x, 6x, etc.. matter? I am also looking at the cost.... money is a factor. All help amd opinions are appreciated.

bugsNbows 09-16-2006 07:51 AM

RE: Laser Rangefinder POLL / question

Here is my $.02. Laser rangefinders are great and well worth the $. I have an old Bushnell that I've had for several years... since they first came out. However, compared to today's units, it's kind of big and bulky. The new angle compensating units seem nice, but I'm not convinced that they are really all that necessary (maybe for out west but not where I hunt). Some claim to be effective out to 800-1200 yards but that's not generally on animal type targets (probably more like 1/2 estimated yardage pick-up is realistic). I've heard both good and bad stories on all of the brands you listed. Whatever!. The only units I've NEVER heard any complaints about were Leicas. If I were getting one tomorrow it would be the Leica 1200 compact unit. It weighs under 8 ounces and is 7X (I believe). I think they go for around $700.00. Good luck.

Bugeaters 09-16-2006 08:12 AM

i have one of the new leupold rangefinders that shows the true range on an incline or decline(true ballistic range) and i think it is great. and it is only 300 bucks i believe is what i paid for it.

txjourneyman 09-16-2006 09:25 AM

I have a Nikon 440 and it is GREAT! 8x optics that are very clear and this thing is snall enough to fit in my shirt pocket without being cumbersome. No doubt about recomending this one.

mbhutton 09-16-2006 12:25 PM

I too have the nikon 440, its perfect for me, i don't need one that ranges beyond about 400 yrds. its small and only 200, thats my opinion though

RIStrutStopper 09-16-2006 09:39 PM

Another vote for the Nikon 440. I sold my bushnell, it worked, but the Nikon is more compact and seems to be built sturdier.

wicchunter 09-16-2006 10:10 PM

I use the Bushnell Scout.... really a great laser range finder... perfect size. Check it out before you decide. I've had it for 4 yrs with zero problems.

jdreddish 09-17-2006 12:50 AM

I too have a Nikon 440. No complaints here. I use it all the time...rifle range, gun hunting, bow hunting, golf course. It has never let me down.

MichaelT. 09-17-2006 12:58 AM

looking at the nikon vs the bushnell there is a difference in the range in yards and the power. I think the nikon is 8x and the bushnell is 6x. I would think the 8x would be better. Have the nikon found for 199.95 with free shipping. Anyone know of a better deal?

cascadedad 09-17-2006 01:43 AM

I got my Nikon 600 off ebay. It was used, but like new and I think I paid around $185 shipped. The optics are very clear and the numbers are very easy to read and it is very easy to operate. I had my heart set ona Leupold, but after comparing them side by side, the decision was easy for me. I had a tough time reading some of the setting indicators around the outside of the viewing area on the Leupold. I just want to point it and get a reading without worrying about all the bells and whistles.