Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Plano Pro Max Double bow case- review. >

Plano Pro Max Double bow case- review.

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Plano Pro Max Double bow case- review.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Plano Pro Max Double bow case- review.

I know this isn’t the product review of glitz and glamour as some of the other higher end accessories, but I felt like this information might be helpful to someone in the need of a double bow case who didn’t feel like spending a small fortune on one.
For years I have used the Doskocil Deluxe Double Bow case to hold two bows, then I would bring along an arrow case and tackle box on each hunting trip as a means to keep Mr. Murphy at bay, at least for the weekend.
With my new Tribute I found the Doskocil would no longer work due to the extreme angle of the parallel limbs. A new bow case would be required if I wished to keep hauling 2 bows on each outing.
After doing some net shopping I decided on the Plano Pro Max Double. I ordered the case from my local proshop for the same price I could buy it over the net (even after tax).
When it came in I quickly realized that with the double model all you get over the single model is another layer of foam and three more Velcro straps. The double model goes for ~$75.00, the single~$40.00. So for anyone considering buying a double, save your money, buy the single and then buy some foam & Velcro- you turn a single into a double with a few dollars spent.
The bow case holds both of my parallel limbed bows comfortably. It has a storage space towards the middle hinge on each side which is used for arrow storage.
The Tribute is a good fit with plenty of room for the Patriot.-

The only issues I have with the case are the two plastic supplied arrow holders which seem to be somewhat of an afterthought. (laying under the lower left side in the picture)

I decided to try something else and super glued four pieces of foam across from each other to create an arrow wedge in the arrow holding compartment. So far so good.

The case come with a small plano gear box and room for another if you should decide two are needed.

Since my new lease is every bit of 350 miles from my house I will try to truck-pool with other lease members anytime possible to save on fuel expenditures. This means hauling 1 big box instead of a small, medium and large will be a welcomed change when sharing the truck bed with one or two others.

All in all I’d rate this case a solid 7 and it will fit the bill for a double bow case worthy of truck bed travel. I do believe the plastic is a tad too flimsy for airline travel, but who knows- it just might work for that also.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Plano Pro Max Double bow case- review.

Closed pic-

Old 09-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is a plastic divider that clips in place to sit between the two bows that might not come with the single.
You can see it in this pic here-

Old 09-13-2006, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Dave. I have that same case in the single version. I was not sure about the double and didn't have the money to get it at the time. Kind of glad I didn't. Anyway I really like it for one. I put my quiver with arrows in the storage area by the hinge. Other arrows go in the top where the second bow goes on yours. It is big for just one but with what we all invest in a bow I thought it was good. Since I USUALLY do not have to put it in the truck bed (bows get back seat if only 2 of us are going) then it is more then enough. I do feel very good about putting it in the bed when needed.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dave, that's quite a reasonable price for a bow case that can carry two bows. I'm looking to get one for my upcoming moose hunt and looked at the DoskoSport DLX Hybrid, hard case protection and soft sided flexibility--but it's almost three times the price of the Plano, and the soft sides in my opinion, doesn't offer enough protection for that cams.
I've been using the Doskocil Pro 44, but this case can only carry one bow.
Where did you get it from, if I can get it shipped here I'll certainly order me one.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge on the product.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

wihunter, in order to turn asingle into double another layer of foam, some velcro, 3 screws and some sort of partition (if desired) would be all that is needed. I would put my bows in the cab if I was going solo, but that is where we usually haul the clothes and any non cooler food items (soI can grab them on the fly).

http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/Archery_Equipment_-_Supplies/Bowcases/Hard_Bow_Cases/Plano_Pro_Bow_Max_Double_Bow_Case_-_Grey/Page_1/BOC2397605.html
BTW, does the review look familiar.

Ampa, after rereading my original post I must point out that my proshop sold it to me for the same priceI could have purchased it over the net AFTER SHIPPING (the same amount of money left my wallet either way). The $75.00 is before shipping and both placesI found it at charge extra (~$6) because it is a large item, as was the case for anyother hard bowcase.

cabelas also sells it.

One of theDoskocil Pro 44 also comes in a double. It looked like it might work, but since the case still had the rounded look to it I wasn't sure if the Tribute would fit in it. plusI like the seperate arrow compartment the plano has
Old 09-13-2006, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Dave, Geeze--and only last night I ordered the Moultrie 4.1MP from Cabelas. I'll now go and check it out.
I'm also using a Tribute along with an Allegiance, so I'm glad to hear theTribute fits well in that case.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks, Dave... I'm always looking for good double-bow cases, as I know sometime in the near future I'll start going on longer and longer trips... possibly for elk, or moose, or bear... When I do, I know I'm going to want to take at least two bows with me.

Appreciate you taking the time to write this up for us.