Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

matthews vs hoyt

Old 08-15-2006, 05:13 PM
Spike

Default matthews vs hoyt

i'm looking for a new bow. i shoot a hoyt ultra tec right now and i love it. i started looking at the matthews switchback and the hoyt trykon. can't decide on either one. the only thingi keep hearing is the cam in a half is no good. anyone have any input?
Old 08-15-2006, 10:05 PM

Default RE: matthews vs hoyt

my opinion.. don't waste your money on either. There less expensive bows that kill deer just as dead.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

turkey, if those are the two bows you've narrowed it down to, you really need to do some extensive shooting with both of them before you buy one.

Each of those bows exhibit drastically different draw-force curves, and as such, you'll feel a completely different "draw experience", if you will, with each respective bow. The Trykon is probably a good bit faster, but is lacking in the smoothness factor you'll experience from the Switchback. Initially, a lot of the Tryks were experiencing a "buzzing" sound when shot, although I haven't heard much feedback about that of late, so maybe Hoyt got it worked out as more of them rolled off the assembly line.

Hoyt puts -- in my mind -- a way better grip on their bows than the fat Mathews stock grip, though I've seen some big NFL-lineman-sized guys who liked them... They also come with waay better stock strings...

Those are just some quick, random thoughts after havingpersonally shot them. Ultimately, you need to shoot both before dropping your hard-earned money on one of them. And, while you're at it, you may want to shoot some other brands, too. Sometimes you may find a fit with one you hadn't even considered before. Just about all the top manufacturers are churning out real quality these days.

Good luck, and good hunting.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:56 PM

first off, greg the moderator is exactly right; you really need to shoot the bows and find out which one "fits" you best... there is not a "better" bow between the two and for that matter there is no such thing as the "best" bow. that's the beauty of bowhunting: rarley are things every perfect, and if they are it's for only a few seconds!!!
now that being said; there are some major differences between the two bows you have chosen. the Hoyt is faster and there forless forgiving. the mathews is slower and there for more forgiving. I think the best thing for you to do is spend a day at a quality archery shop and not listen to guys telling you what bow to buy, but to form your own opinion and find the bow that fits you best... all bows on the market these days are great bows... some just market more than others and people being people buy into that marketing skeem... some of the best bows out there such as archery research, high country, darton, & PSE all make bows of equal or greater quality than hoyt or mathews; it's simply that marketing works!! I saybroden your horizons and check out a bunch of different bows out there... you woun't regret it.
good luck buddy!
PS. just as many guys talk crap about single cam bows as cam-N-half!!!
Old 08-16-2006, 12:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

LOL, walt!!! It took me a while, but I figured out why you called me "greg the moderator"...

That stands for "Greg FROM MISSOURI"... I just happen to be a moderator, too. [8D]
Old 08-16-2006, 12:45 AM

cam and a half is great
Old 08-16-2006, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

shoot them both. you should know without any question which bow is for you. You can't go wrong w/ either.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Both ARE great bows. The Trykon will definatley kick the Switchbacks butt in speeds however the Switchback does have a nicer draw force which is why it does not have the speed the Trykon does. The Cam 1/2 is a great cam, the only people I can see saying it is not good is a Mathews shooter. Any non biased person will tell you how great the Trykon is as well as the Switchback and the only way to decide is to shoot them yourself.

I had a friend dead set on buying the Switchback until he shot the Trykon so he bought the Trykon, and myself, I was wanting the Switchback to impress me to the point of purchase but it was a dog compared to the Allegiance which draws just as smooth, shock free etc so win/win, the Allegiance sold me.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:33 PM

i sold both my mathews for 2 trykons but both are awesome bows but i do love the trykon
Old 08-16-2006, 01:42 PM
Spike

thanks guys that helps alot. its nice to talk to people who shoot these bows and not just the guy working at the bow shop. it seems like every bowshop i go to they swear that theres is the best product. still not decided yet but i appreciate all your input. good luck to everyone this coming season.

Quick Reply: matthews vs hoyt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.