Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Need help chosing a hang on tree stand >

Need help chosing a hang on tree stand

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Need help chosing a hang on tree stand

Old 07-01-2006, 10:21 AM

Default Need help chosing a hang on tree stand

Guys, I could sure use some help chosing a hang on tree stand. I'm new back into bow hunting.I hunted with a bow from the mid 70's with a Jennings Super T Hunter until the mid 80's witha Martin Cougar and eventually a High Country Eliminator.
In Washington state now you have to chose a weapon for deer and elk. For the last several years I chose a rifle for these animals andI have a bunch of good climbing trees all trimmed up for sitting. I used to sit on the branches with my rifles (ouch) but with a bow I'd like a shooting platform so I can shoot more consistantly.
So, onto my question. I don't need a climbing tree stand, I just need a hang on. I have narrowed my choices down to a Lone Wolf Alpha, a Summit Copperhead or a Ameristep Outfitter or Patriot (same name as mylatest bow).
SinceI haveseveral awesome trees already trimmed up I really like the idea of the receiver bracket on the Summit and Lone Wolf that allow you to hang a bunch ofstraps around the woods while only needing one stand. I also hunt in the mountains so lightweight (aluminum construction) is a must.
What do you guys think? Did a miss a stand that would work great for my needs?

Thanks for your input.

Hollow Point
Old 07-01-2006, 10:55 AM

Default RE: Need help chosing a hang on tree stand

I have 2 Lone Wolf hang-ons and 4 climbing stix. I bought one with the new seat last year, and got a seat kit for my older model this past winter. I have the foot rests on both as well. Can't beat 'em. I've owned several different brands, and in my opinion this is the way to go.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:29 AM

Thank you for the input. I am headed out the door to Sportsman's warehouse right now. I guess I'll see what they stock and have to say about stands.

Hollow Point
Old 07-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Banned

Lone wolfs are great and so is the summit copperhead. My most comfortable hangon that I have for all day comfort is the millenium. Here it is. You hang a receptacle 1st and then slide the stand into it. VERY comfortable and aluminum constuction. I replaced the chain with a ratchet strap.HCH

Old 07-01-2006, 07:26 PM

Thanks Hardcore! I hadn't even heard of the Millenium before. I will check them out. I must say they sure LOOK comfortable. I can see myself napping on the job in that stand.
Now that's the kind of information I was looking for! Thanks again.

Hollow Point
Old 07-01-2006, 10:25 PM

big game has a nice inexpensive hang on with a huge padded seat. i bought 4 of them last year from gander mt and i paid like 49.00 each i think but the lone wolfs are nice too.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:10 PM

Thanks Head Hunter.

I guessI had thought that gander Mountainwent out of business (Sold out to Cabelas) a number of years ago.

Thanks for the tip.

Hollow Point
Old 07-02-2006, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have three tree stands one is LONE WOLF ALPHA hang - on the other is a GORILLA its afixed hang - on and the third one is a RIVERS EDGE thats a hang- on too.
Now I gotta tell that the first and second are the ones I like most, the third one I use as a back up.
I got the the first two at yard sales, the third one was on sale at a local sporting goods shop
Old 07-02-2006, 08:49 AM

RD hunter, thank you for the information. The Lone Wolf Alpha hang on is a $189 tree stand. What a catch to find one at a yard sale!
I can't believe the prices for a NICE hang on tree stand these days.

The Millenium is $199
The Lone Wolf Alpha $189
The Summit Copperhead $159

I see a Ameristep Patriot just sold on E bay for $61.00

Maybe I should set my sights a bit lower than the creme de le creme of tree stands?

I wrote down the specs on an aluminum Gorilla stand that looked pretty good in the brochure yesterday. It is a Silverback Magnum XLS model 41042. It's 13 lbs and has a 24 x 30" platform.
There is also a slightly smaller version called the Silverback XLS model 41033 that is 21 x 27" and 12 lbs.
Has anyone seen or used these stands? I haven't priced either of them just yet.

Hollow Point

Old 07-02-2006, 08:51 AM

Hollow Point

Check out the Chippewa Wedge Lock stands. They have either a strap on or chain on rigging device so you can set up multiple stand sites. The stand is rock solid. Only draw back is the price of the stand. Once you get one you will love it.
I have had (and still do own) Lone Wolf hang ons, Non Typical Outfitter hang on and even a couple old Screaming Eagle hang ons. The Chippewa is the best of the group in my opinion.

DetLieut

Quick Reply: Need help chosing a hang on tree stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.