HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Hoyt or Reflex (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/146147-hoyt-reflex.html)

PAHunter23 06-26-2006 10:25 AM

Hoyt or Reflex

Have been considering a new bow. Shot both the Hoyt Ultra mag (2005 Not used) $420.00 (bow and rest) and reflex Highlander $380.00 (bow, rest (2006)
What is the greatest differenece? My understanding they are the same bows.
Was leaning to the highlander but now confused.

Any information is helpful.

ButchA 06-26-2006 11:11 AM

RE: Hoyt or Reflex

The Reflex Highlander uses the Hoyt UltraSport riser configuration, not the Ultra Mag (which I originally thought too)...

Both bows are essentially the same, but Hoyt uses a better limb pocket system from what I understand.

I LOVE my new Reflex Highlander and can't believe how well it performs for only $349. It's a real sweet shooter!

nodog 06-26-2006 04:33 PM

I agree with Butch. I would have bought a reflex if the Hoyt hadn't been given to me. The limb pockets are a little different. I'm not sure if they both have the same cam even though they look the same the one maybe a little softer (slower) than the other (hasher/faster) but both are great bows and at the costs of each either would be a bargin.

The 2005 bows didn't have good strings, the 2006 bows are supposed to be better, but those are the Hoyts . I'm not sure if they upgraded the reflexs as well. The 2005 strings should be relaced as soon as possible, they just won't stop stretching. I have an 05. Great bows.

VA HEAD HUNTER 06-26-2006 04:45 PM

last year i had the reflex grizzly and loved it. this year i bought the trykon and love it also. both are great bows

Squirreldog 06-26-2006 06:37 PM

Im not 100% sure but I think that the draw length adjusting increments are different.
I think Hoyt is 1/2 inch increments and Reflex are 1 inch increments.
Dont know too much about the Reflexs,except that my brother bought one last year, I think a super slam and he loves it.
My first bow was a UltraMag, and my middle brother is still shooting it.
To me it is a quieter bow than my ViperTech and its a little faster, Its riser was magnesieum instead of solid machined aluminum, I dont know what Reflex risers are.
Either should be a great bow!!!

Good luck

mobow 06-26-2006 06:51 PM

OK....hang on, here's the scoop.

The ONLY difference in the Ultra Sport and the Ultra Mag is the limbs. The sport has glass limbs, the mag has carbon limbs. Other than that, same bow.

The Highlander is identical to the UltraMag, so it has the UltraSport (and Mag) riser w/ carbon limbs. If you want my HONEST opinion, I'd get the Highlander, hands down. Better limbs than the UltraSport you are looking at and not as much money. That's not even a question. Highlander all the way.

hardcorehunter 06-26-2006 08:02 PM

You the man!!
HCH[/align]

jonnyslim 06-26-2006 10:19 PM

i believe that anything with a mag in front of its name has a magnesium riser. and im pretty sure that most if not all the risers in the Reflex line have magnesium risers as well. Like they said above, hoyt still hasnt incorporated the new triax limb pocket design.

ButchA 06-27-2006 05:33 AM

Oh yeah, that is right (referring to someones post above).

Hoyt: 1/2" draw length adjustment. Same cam design, different adjustment module.
Reflex: 1" draw length adjustment. Same cam design, different adjustment module.

mobow 06-27-2006 03:35 PM

ORIGINAL: jonnyslim

i believe that anything with a mag in front of its name has a magnesium riser. and im pretty sure that most if not all the risers in the Reflex line have magnesium risers as well. Like they said above, hoyt still hasnt incorporated the new triax limb pocket design.
Not to be argumentative, but this isn't correct. The "MAG" in the name in no way refers to the riser. But yes, in this case, coincidentally, the UltraMag DOES have a Magnesium riser. Hoyt does indeed have the Triax Limb pocket, and only about half of the Reflex line has a Magnesium riser. The Buckskin, Timberwolf, Super Slam and Caribou all have machined aluminum.