Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Cold Weather Base Layers >

Cold Weather Base Layers

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Cold Weather Base Layers

Old 06-23-2006, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default Cold Weather Base Layers

Last year i had a problem with my bow string hitting my bulkyclothes upon release. I was even using aforearm strap. Now i'm trying to limit my clothing without sacrificing warmth. So my question is what type of thin base layers do you feel work infairly cold to very cold weather situations?

Thanks
Mike
Old 06-23-2006, 03:18 PM

Default RE: Cold Weather Base Layers

Bass Pro Expedition weight. Very nice stuff, and warm. I believe one of them may even be anti microbial.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:28 PM

Polypro base, maybe fleece over it. Definitly expidition weight. Or military ECWS weight. (pretty much the same thing)

As far as keeping bulk off the arms, make some of your layers vests/sleeveless. The main thing is keeping your core warm. You'd be surprised how well a good vest as a layerwill do in colder weather. If I'm walking alot or can expect a cold snap, I'll just add a stuffable down vest to my pack to put on under my jacket if it does get cold.

That would help reduce bulk in the arms for you.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:30 PM

Typically I've used Patagonia mid weight and expedition weight but I've been very impressed this past year with the Sport Hill clothing for a base layer (tends not to get as stinky as the Patagucci). I love the River's West LAW system over the top in warmer fall weather and the regular weight H2P when it's colder. Just remember, you pay for what you get. I haven't personally tried the Under Armor but my girlfriend is very impressed with hers.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks alot for the replys guys. That Bass pro expedition weight with anti microbial sounds like a winner. If i look hard a might even have some bass pro gift certificates laying around.Making some of my layers sleveless is a great idea andsomething i will definatly try to do. You guys are justto smart for me