Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 My Review - Apex, Apex 7, and Prestige >

My Review - Apex, Apex 7, and Prestige

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

My Review - Apex, Apex 7, and Prestige

Old 04-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My Review - Apex, Apex 7, and Prestige

Wow, I am impressed......thats the short version of this review. [8D]

I like all of these bows alot specifically the Apex 7 and think it would be an excellent choice fora competition only 3D bow and FITA bow. I have 2x on the way one for FITA/Open Stakes 3D, the other for HC 3D, and a regular Apex coming forspots.

All of these bowsfeel like they have more mass weight on them then I am used to (even though they say they don't on the specs),and seem to float a little slower on the dot than other high end bows I have shot. I like this a lot.Most importantly they have a true65% letoff with a decent valley........i.e. a hingerelease shooters dream come true. I really like having at least 19lbs holding weight when shooting the hinge and these bows will give it to you at 60lbs peak draw for sure with much more valley there than I could have w/ a binary at 65%. Solid back wall and enoughvalleyat the 65% level thatyou don't have to worry about having your arm ripped out of its socket. I am currently holding 23lbs on my Old Glory at 70lbs peak draw, and let me tell you.....any creeping or getting lazy with that and shes taking off on you for sure whether your ready or not. It only takes one of those to ruin the score and your confidence on an otherwise good day of shooting. Let me tell you as well that it is no fun letting down w/ a hinge and clicker setup this way.....[:@]

They both definitely have a tiny bit more hand shock than my bowtechs do, I don't know if this is due to a lack of an STS or not though....all my bowtechs have an STS so it is hard to compare directly. They do not have the kind of hand shock a Martin X system produces though for comparison....it is minimal but seems more than my bowtechs have.

I can't comment on speed as I wasn't able to do a controlled test on any of this, but the bow is quick......very quick. The guy that has been helping me w/ form has bumped my DL out to around 30" so this bow is going to be plenty fast at the new draw length. I will see if I can set one up to compare directly with some other bows when I am at the shop next week. It is definitely not as fast as my Allegiance, but the Apex 7 is certainlyfaster than my Old Glory or Constitution. This will be nice when getting dialed in for FITA, as I can now only get about 95 yards out of my sight before I have to worry about fletching contact on the sight. I need to get to 99 yards for FITA and then I won't have to worry about compensating w/ Kentucky elevation......lol.

The grip is awesome as well, it is just as condusive to proper hand placement as the shrewd I am used to on all my Bowtechs. They are light years better than the huge bulky wooden grips on the other Mathews bows, I don't think I could get used to those any time soon.

I will probably be shooting an Apex 7 in the larger shoots this summer once mine gets here. Overall the main advantage of this bow is the holding weight and true 65% letoff with a valley, this is so conducive to the hinge style release shooting I have been doing and will hopefully help me with some of the form and shot process stuff I have been working on so hard in the past few months. Once the bow gets here and it is all dialed in and tuned, I will update more.

Overall I love my bowtechs and certainly planned on shooting one for this 3D/FITA season, but I have bumped into an opportunity I can't pass up right now w/ Mathews and the shop I am working at and shooting for. The Apex and Apex 7 aretrulyawesome bows and I am very anxious to get mine here, I will update more when it is here and in my possession.

Bottom line is this......if you are looking at dropping some $$$ on a high end competition bow specifically, make sure to get to a Mathews dealer to shoot one of these before pulling the trigger on another brand. Almost everyone makes a great bow these days, so you should shoot them all but these bows are definitely ones to be considered heavily. Due to my current stable, I had VERY high expectations of a competition specific bow and came away from shooting these with an excellent impression.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:35 AM

Default RE: My Review - Apex, Apex 7, and Prestige

I can't believe my eyes,no more bowtec? You single handedly almost made me switch to a bowtec with your impressive shooting.
Just kidding ,it must be nice to have the versatility to make such a
change

Old 04-30-2006, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My Review - Apex, Apex 7, and Prestige

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE my bowtech's and I would not hesitate to shoot one if I were you. I honestly hope that my days shooting a bowtech are not over. Thing is, everyone makes a great bow these days and the Apex 7 really caters to my style of shooting very well and I have a great opportunity with the shop I am with that I cannot pass up right now. If I were you, I would shoot every major brand bow out there before you pull the trigger to buy something, and buy what feels best to you. You really can't go wrong with any major manufacturer these days......fitment and tune will have a much greater effect on your performance than the manufacturer or brand. Just my opinion for what it's worth.