Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Just ordered the Reflex Highlander!!! >

Just ordered the Reflex Highlander!!!

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Just ordered the Reflex Highlander!!!

Old 02-21-2006, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Just ordered the Reflex Highlander!!!

Hey there,

I just got off the phone with Hunters Friend http://www.huntersfriend.com and also confirmed everything with Michael Blanton (related to David Blanton of Real Tree??).

The hot new Reflex Highlander is now in stock and ready to order and ship out. Here is what I found out after talking to Hunters Friend....

* Reflex Highlander replaces the Reflex Grizzly.
* Basically Reflex took a bunch of Hoyt UltraMag risers to trick up the Grizzly and made it 2" shorter A2A and faster, then renamed it Highlander.

They asked me about the Grizzly (which I have tried out and loved the draw and feel of it) and what I thought, and how much better and tricked up the Highlander is. "It is still the same sweet shooter as the Grizzly, but just slightly faster with a better, narrower, more sleek, riser. You are getting a $600 Hoyt quality bow, but for $349 and it says Reflex."

Now I just have to figure out a good arrow rest, or keep using the old school TM Hunter style rest.

I CAN'T WAIT TO GET THIS BOW!!!!!!!!

Old 02-21-2006, 01:14 PM

Default RE: Just ordered the Reflex Highlander!!!

DUDE!!! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are gonna love that bad boy! Get her all tricked out and post us a pic of that bad beast!!
Old 02-21-2006, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks...

I am also going to make the grand leap into the world of Carbon arrows. I talked to the local archery shop (I know one of the guys real good) and got the lowdown on stepping into a hot new speedy bow. The old Easton XX75's might be way underspined and might even bend and twist upon release. Besides that, they might not be the right length anyway and it would not be feasible to setup a speedy bow to shoot old aluminums.

Old Setup:................................New Setup:
1996 PSE Edge 1000C..................2006 Reflex Highlander
Round Wheel Dual Cam.................Slam & 1/2 hybrid cam system
65#, 65% letoff...........................65#, 75% letoff (I had them drop it down to 65#'s).
30# draw length..........................30# draw length
Speed: (maybe) 235fps................Speed: 305fps (IBO rating)
XX75 in 2315..............................Unknown arrows yet (don't know which carbon arrows)
125 tips.....................................Like to stay with 125gr tips.

Butch A.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

sounds like a great bow!

Old 02-21-2006, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks... It's going to be incredible... This is what it looks like. I guess take the limbs off a Reflex Grizzly and mount them on the riser of an old Hoyt Ultramag:

Old 02-21-2006, 02:59 PM

I have always liked that riser. I have a reflex buckskin and just love it. I doubt you will find a better bow for the money.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Reflex bows are good stuff. Priced so well because its the Hoyt stuff thats time proven. I had one...loved it.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:55 PM

Butch, you be careful buddy. I mean, new bow, brand new CARBON arrows.....your system is gonna go into overload!! Shoot....you may even just get addicted to this!! What are we gonna do with ya????
Old 02-21-2006, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

LOL!!!

Hey, my wife told me I can get a new bow and get it all tricked out. Carte Blanche... Do whatever I want! ...ain't she the best?!?

I am stepping up 10 years in technology too. That's why I am getting my bow NOW and have all spring and summer to practice.

I might look at the NAP Quicktune 1000 arrow rest or the Drop Zone. I don't know... I still have my old Tru-Glo 3 pin sights and S-Coil stablizer that were salvaged off the old PSE bow.

I don't know anything about carbon arrows or 300 spine or 7595 or whatever carbon arrows go by. I have tons of 125gr field tips and broadheads so I want to continue using them. I need to look at Easton's arrow chart or that bowjackson website to see what I could get into for carbon arrows with a 305fps bow and a 30" draw.

Butch A.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:30 PM

Depending on your arrow length, you are gonna fall right at the 400 or 340 range. Obviously you understand spine, inches of deflection. If you are gonna stay with 65#, and your arrows are 29" or shorter the 400 willprobably work.But it is better to be slightly overspined than underspined. You prolly won't get the 305, but that's because of the 5# drop pull weight and all the goodies you'll put on your string, such as a peep and what not. I am confident in saying you will be in the 270's, maybe pushing 280. You may get a bit more than that even. Man, I could go on and on about all this good stuff, but you know the drill. Pick out some good arrows, Axis, Black Max, Carbon Express Maxima, Gold Tip Pro Hunters, and have a blast learning that beast. I would bet one of the first things you notice is the solid back wall and lack of a valley. That's the hardest part to get used to, but like you said......You've got all spring and summer. It won't take long, you'll fall in love all over again.

Glad you've got a supporting wife, and by all means.......have fun my friend!!

Oh, as far as the rest, you're on the right track. I shoot the Drop Zone and love it. Check out the whisker buscuit too. They're pretty cool. Trickin one out is the fun part. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Just ordered the Reflex Highlander!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.