Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

buying first bow

Old 01-03-2006, 01:06 AM

Default buying first bow

Hello everyone,

This is Chunker from SW Iowa and I am looking to get into bow hunting. I've hunted a lot with my .22 and my 20 guage, but I have always wanted to get into bow hunting. I really don't know to many people that are knowledgable on the topic. I have no clue what I want to be looking for in a bow. brand, draw length, draw weight, brace height, sight, one cam, two cam, let off, ibo speed etc. Some of these things (like let off) I have no clue what they even are.

I've been hearing good things about PSE. They seem to have a bow for any price range. I'm initially planing to use the bow for target, turkey, and bowfishing, but I would like to have something I can hunt deer with too. Right now, i'm hoping to find something the cheaper the better, down the road I might want to upgrade, but as for the bow, i'm shooting for under 300...if that turns out to be realistic.

Thanks

Chunker
Old 01-03-2006, 07:01 AM

Default RE: buying first bow

if i was you i would highly recomend getting the pse triton. It sells for 350 by itself. I just got mine yesterday and i love. I was getting groups so good i was hitting the fletching. you could get the complete bow setup for about 440-450 with six pack of arrows
Old 01-03-2006, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

if you wanna stay under 300 it is realistic with the PSE NOVA great starter bow or reflex excursion......an even better bow i would recommend the reflex excursion

Old 01-03-2006, 04:53 PM

Dont take our word for it.Go down and shoot some at a basspro or gander mountain.It is your money and they want it so they will help you out all they can and remember shoot alot of them before making your mind up.I bought a switchback as my first bow because I didn't start bow hunting until I was 49.As you get older and kids leave home you find you have more money.I can remeber times when I had to watch what I spent though.I shot some the other day at gander mountain and was impressed how little viberation some of the cheaper bows had.I also went to pro shop and pulled back on some high dollars bows that when cam got to let off point the whole bow shook.One thing about the switchback is it goes from pull to let off very very smooth.Have fun picking one out and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have in my older years.I just wish I would have started alot younger
Old 01-03-2006, 05:33 PM

hunts4hogs gave some sound advice..........I would also test fire the bows and then go on ebay.....you can get some great deals on bows used for just this last season and I am sure you can get more bow slightly used than you will be able to for 300.00 or less. There is also a classifieds section on here and they sometimes have decent deals.............just look around for the guys that hunted all season and didnt kill a deer and they will probably be willing to sell cheap this time of year........happy hunting
Old 01-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Huntsforhogg's! has given some real good advice ! But I'm going to try expand on this one for you.First thing you really need to do is set your price that your willing to spend on a bow ,then remember you'll also need accessories to go with this bow as well. You can bet you'll need at least $200.00 for accessories ,such as a rest ,stabilizer, sight's ,peep, release, arrow's, broadhead's and quiver .So now if you say $300.00 is what you can afford on spending on a bow ,check out as many brand's as you can in this $300.00 range at your local shop, then drop down to the top 4 or 5 bow's that feel best to you ,and shoot them again and again till you find the one that you feel best with and go with your gut on this one, not someone else's ,because this is your money not their's and what might suit them may or maynot suit you.
Now as far as e-bay goes unless you know exactly what you want in a bow such as draw length and draw weight and brace height ,Id have to tell you that your probably best to go with a local pro shop ,that will warranty your bow for you in case of any problem's . qsp! is correct that you can and may find what you need in a bow off of e-bay but unless you've got some serious experience ,that you say you don't . I'd have to recommend that you don't buy from e-bay until you gain enough knowledge about what you want to purchase .
Buying off of e-bay can be good to the right person ,but your unable to see the bow upfront and have no idea [other than a pic]about the bow's condition ,your unable to shoot it ,your buying a bow unseen and unshot by yourself, which could turn out to be disasterous for you .So I would highly recommend buying from your bowshop ,so you can look it over real well and if there's a problem your shop will warraty it for you ,you can shoot it so that you know that it suit's you best, plus the bowshop will measure you for your draw lenght and fit you into a bow that you can draw properly. I wish you luck with choosing your new bow because if you don't make the right choice the first time ,you just might end up with a very bad impression about what your getting into here, and to boot out your hard earned cash.

nubo
Old 01-05-2006, 11:32 AM
Spike

Go to a pro shop at look around shoot some different bows let them help you with the particulars and then you can buy from them or have a better idea of what you need and go to the new bass pro in council bluffs.
bruce
southeast ne
Old 01-13-2006, 08:15 PM
Typical Buck

Great advice and best of luck you'll love it
Old 01-13-2006, 08:26 PM

Bass Prosucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2006, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

chunker, welcome aboard. I would suggest visiting a few pro shops and try different models and manufacturers before making a decision. A bow that fits you well will make all the difference in how well you shoot.

Quick Reply: buying first bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.