Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

bowtech

Old 12-23-2005, 12:40 PM

Default bowtech

some of you may know i am looking for a new bow and idecided it is going to be a bowtech. either an tribute or a tomkat my question is what makes thetomkatso much cheaper then the other bows? only thing i could notice was the different grips.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bowtech

The Tomkat is a steal !!!!
Old 12-23-2005, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

Don't forget to look at Diamond Bows (Same company as Bowtech without the hype)!!! I just got a 05 Victory SC which I think is the best bow I shot personally... To me it compares to the Flagship of any line and you should be able to find them for the aroun $450!

Intersesting article...

Team BowTech memeberJosh Nelson seized first place at the Oregon State Championshipsin the Bowhunter Freestyle class, shooting a Diamond Victory bow. Nelson separated himself by 24 points from his nearest competitor on his way to shooting a winning score of 841. “I can’t believe how unbelievably accurate the Victory is,” said Nelson. “It is by far the most accurate bow I have ever shot.”
Old 12-24-2005, 08:52 AM

Been searching for my first bow and have about decided on the Tomkat as well. I looked at the diamonds too... but the 06 Bowtech's have the binary cam system which seems to be better...or maybe better hyped on their website Anyone out there know if it is indeed a better system?
Old 12-24-2005, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

Personally I think the single cam versus binary cam argument is a personal one... You have to decide for yourself... Here is a good website to help understand the difference... I have found it quite useful.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm

Single Cam vs. Twin Cams
This is a hotly debated issue in the industry. It seems that serious archers who already have a preference for single vs. dual cams, will fight to the end on this debate. Since the invention of the first dual-feed single-cam, by Matt McPherson in the early 90's, virtually every bow company has feverishly worked to develop and perfect their own single cam systems. Though two-cam technology continues to improve, single-cam models have continued to gain market share and are today's popular choice in the US (though significantly less popular abroad). In spite of their popularity, it should be noted that single cam bows are still a relatively new phenomenon, and it may be premature to conclude that twin-cams are a thing of the past. Because as we all know, designs come and go. Only time will tell if the single-cam bow is indeed the superior design. And with the recent rise in popularity of the Hybrid (AKA Cam & 1/2) systems, the puzzle gets even more complex.

Perhaps the most notable advantage of single and hybrid cam systems is the lack of cam synchronization issues. As a whole, bowhunters favor the "keep it simple" philosophy. Checking and setting cam synchronization on a twin cam bow, though not a big job, is fairly technical. It is also an inconvenience many novice archers and weekend bowhunters would rather avoid. And while single and hybrid cams do need to be timed properly to achieve best efficiency during the powerstroke, there are no synchronization issues to negotiate between two identical opposing cams. So the single and hybrid cam bows generally spend a little less time in the bow-press. Twin cam systems require a little more maintenance to stay in top shooting condition.

The demise of the twin-cam's popularity has brought about one pleasing side effect, however. Many twin-cam bows are now offered for significantly less money than their single-cam counterparts. Particularly with entry to mid-level bows, you may find the twin-cam versions to be priced $30-50 less, even though their performance specs are very similar to the single-cam versions of the bow. Archers on a budget may find that their archery dollar can be stretched a bit further by purchasing a good twin-cam system.

Old 12-24-2005, 01:07 PM

I'm a big fan of the bowtechs--I own two Patriots and an Allegiance. The Tribute and Tomkat comparison is really apples and oranges. In my view, the Tribute may well be the pinnacle of short ata bows. The Tomkat is a greatbow for the $, but not really in the same class. The Diamond Victory is indeed a great buy, especially if you can pick up a package like what hunter's friend was selling lately. If you are new to the line, I'd encourage you to look at the Patriots (I think for 06 they are actually marketed under the Diamond brand). They are more money, but they can be had for screaming prices a year or two old. I've been content to buy my bowtechs after the next model year came out, usually at $200 discounts. If the draw cycle of the binary cams is to your liking, the allegiance is very impressive. A 60lb allegiance shoots my 400g arrows as fast as my 70lb Patriots do--275+ fps or so. That is serious performance out of a 60lb bow and is more than sufficient for most anything you are likely to hunt on th continent. If you are going to go with the faster models, I'd strongly recommend you use a fall away rest. It is my experience they are much easier to shoot broadheads well at longer range.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:20 PM

I havent really settled on anything yet. I just want something that shoots well... for me it will probably be 3D and just targets for a while, but I dont want anything high-maintenance that will discourage me from getting out and shooting.

My list started off with the Reflex Grizzly, then moved to the Tomkat, and have been looking mainly at the Bowtech's lately. I had hoped to get into a package deal for not too much $$ but the more I look , the more expensive the bows get! I wish I had gotten in on that package that HuntersFriend had going.... the new Victory package will cost me about $700 and that is a lot more than I wanted to plunk down, and unfortunately I have 2 bowtech dealers close by so I cant order from HF.COM for them.

So understand that I am a complete noob...and probably asking some pretty basic and stupid questions, but even if I get a good middle of the road bow, it is still a considerable amount of $$ and I want to get something that will serve me well for a while but at the same time is pretty user friendly for a beginner.

Thanks to all for the help!
Old 12-26-2005, 02:44 AM

As far as I know of the Patriot is gone for 06.....the Liberty and Justice were moved to the Diamond line and that is it. The Allegiance pretty well replaces the Patriot with the exception of it being dual cam bow. The Tomkat's are an excellent bow with a good price. The 06's have even more parallel limbs and IBO speeds are up. Around here they are running $499 for the package deal. Really you can't go wrong with one especially starting out...and will should last you a long time. The Tribute is definitely a step up with the Binary Cam system and 20 fps difference. Plus about $150 difference for a bare bow. There's a reason Bowtech has started on a 2.1 million dollar expansion. Demand for their bows.....you don't see any other Company doing any expansions right now. And guys....always consider customer service.....they have one of the best, if not the best. Hope this helps.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:38 AM

So I will put this out there... I have an opportunity at an 05 Diamond Victory package... Should I go for that or the Bowtech Tomkat?
Old 12-26-2005, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

If you like both the Diamond Victory 05 is a better deal... But you can't go wrong with either... The Tomkat is a little more compact where the Victory is a little faster... In general the victory might be the "better" bow, but if you like the Tomkat more go with that IMO...

Quick Reply: bowtech

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.