Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Best new bow for my boy? >

Best new bow for my boy?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Best new bow for my boy?

Old 11-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Spike

Default Best new bow for my boy?

I want to get my boy a bow for Christmas, what would be the best starter bow for an 11 yr. old boy that is forgiving, easy to shoot, but is powerful enough to kill deer easily. He is a respossible and seasoned hunter with three deer killed and multiple other game. I want him to have one of the best but not necessarily the most expensive. Any advice would be appreiciated.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:48 AM

Default RE: Best new bow for my boy?

I will add my 2 cents. My 9 year old is shooting a Mathews Genesis right now and it works great but only goes to 20#. I researched everywhere and ordered him a Diamond Rascal for xmas. It was in the Bowtech line until this year when they moved the solo cam bows to the Diamond line. They all seemed to run in the $250 range for a good quality small frame bow. I did see a brand new 2005 Bowtech Miranda on Ebay for $275, and I think the buy it now was $300?? not sure of that. If my son's draw length was longer that is the bow he would have. They draw really smooth, have a solid stop, minimal hand shock, group well, 80% let off, and they carry a lifetime guarantee. I hope that helps.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:31 PM

My boy at 10 shot a buckmaster junior, Nice let-off good speed and best of all easy to resell.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:58 AM

I am also looking for my 9 year old for Christmas, and ran a thread on several different forums on this topic about a month ago. Several bows come highly reccommended, and if price was not an issue I would go with the Browning Micro (either Midas or Adrenaline). Very adjustable both in DL and poundage, and can be adjusted up to my states minimum of 40 lbs for hunting. The Pse is also mentioned frequently, as are several others. If he is big enough and your pockets deep enough, the Bowtech Miranda is probably top of the heap.

All that being said, I very well may buy a used PSE Spyder from my parents neighbor. My boy wants to bowhunt but I think another couple of years will make all the difference. He got a doe last year, and his first buck on Saturday. Had that buck in about 10 yards and nearly put him into meltdown. I think he needs some more experience before he starts slinging arrows at live critters. So if I get him a bow that won't pull 40, well the the law is the law, right? It will buy me another year or two of maturity anyways. Plus I don't want him trying to pull too much weight just so he can hunt. He is self motivated to say the least!!! Just because you can buy the bow doesn't give you the right to shoot at game, you have to be proficient with it, and he still needs to learn that. Anyways, my .02
Old 11-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Will your 11 year old be hunting soon? I ask because my son is 10 years old and shoots recurves and longbows for fun. When he turn 14, he can make up his own mind what he wants to shoot (compound/traditional). But he can pull and hold 35 pound already, so he already is in the legal minimum in our state. Just something to think about.