Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Ripcord, QAD, or Trophy Taker rest? >

Ripcord, QAD, or Trophy Taker rest?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Ripcord, QAD, or Trophy Taker rest?

Old 11-07-2005, 05:13 AM

Default RE: Ripcord, QAD, or Trophy Taker rest?

I shoot bowtech duallys- when I called qad, charles beasely recommended that I send the rests back for a stronger spring. I did and still had clearance problems.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:59 PM

Mizzouki,

I see that you're shooting a Patriot, that's a pretty fast bow. I will be shooting the more forgiving, slower 2006Old Glory. 62 pounds, 31 inch draw length, 393 grain arrow. I'm assuming that with this set-up my velocity is going to be around 255 fps.

Do you think I will have a clearance problem at that velocity?
Old 11-11-2005, 11:50 AM

If the rest is set up properly, you will not have any problems. It is a great rest that has performed flawlessly on my Bowtech Liberty.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:03 PM

Swamp Dawg,

You are correct. I received further details after posting this topic from several owners. All their problems were associated with the rest not being tuned correctly by the operator. They stated that it left the shop working perfectly. Then as time went on they kept adjusting their rest position for fine tunning accuracy. When you adjust the rest position it changes the tension on the draw cord, thus changing the timing of the drop. When the rest is adjusted you also have to readjust the cord tension attached to cable. Basically any issue with this drop away rest was self induced by the operator. My bow is on order, when it arrives I look forward to setting up this rest.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:52 PM

You may get away with a qad shooting a slower bow. My bows are tuned well. Set up according to qad. Sorry guys, they have more clearance issues than you think. They admitted having problems with clearance on faster bows and offered a stronger spring for free. They also said that they felt that a little contact was not a big deal. I disagree. At 255 you may not have a problem. Run some powder on the veins, that will tell you.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:47 PM

I shoot a qad pro. i love it. the only problem i had was i shoot bohning blazer vanes they are a little taller so when i shoot coch down they hit the bottom of the rest. so i switched to coch up and the problem was solved. i shoot a pse with only a 6" brace hieght also. So to make sure i had no more clearance problems i put windicator powder all over my vanes. no powder left on the rest at all. problem solved!
Old 11-16-2005, 09:56 PM

[:@]
Old 11-18-2005, 01:48 PM

The QAD is not the fastest rest on the market and if you have a really fast bow (or at least faster than average) you probably could have clearance issues. I've heard there is a way to tighten the spring to increase the speed, but have never seen written instructions on how to do that. I solved theissue by shooting cock vane up and haven't had problems since. As for the Ripcord being faster, I read a review from a test done of multiple rests that was on here about six months ago thatsaid it actuallywas one of the slower rests on the market. Don't know it that was accurate or not, but that's what was reported. The TT is a nice rest; I put one on my daughter's bow. But you can't cock the arrow to keep it contained and if you draw back too quickly or to roughly, you're likely to have the arrow pop off the rest. That won't happen with the QAD or the Ripcord. Just my two cents.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:45 PM

What ever you do stay away from the Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter. Many clearence problems.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:20 PM

If you are looking at dropaway rests I think you missed the best one in the zerro effect .I have one , no quicker drop and you can change the distance that it's in contact with the arrow

Quick Reply: Ripcord, QAD, or Trophy Taker rest?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.