Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Mechanical Broadheads vs Fixed - Which one's Point of Contact is Closest to Field Tips ??? >

Mechanical Broadheads vs Fixed - Which one's Point of Contact is Closest to Field Tips ???

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Mechanical Broadheads vs Fixed - Which one's Point of Contact is Closest to Field Tips ???

Old 10-17-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Mechanical Broadheads vs Fixed - Which one's Point of Contact is Closest to Field Tips ???

I have read a lot - I mean a lot. So here is the question I need help anwsering please.

Will Mechanical Broadheads point of impact be closer to my field tip's point of impact than fixed broadheads. I have now tried two different fixed broadheads ( G5 and Crossfire ) and neither hit where my field tips hit. I know, adjust your sights to where the broadheads are hitting and go hunt. Well I want the best of both worlds. Pin point accuracy from my field tip shooting and then be able to use the same sighted bow for hunting my wife's boyfriend on the weekend. In any case what is the best mechanical broadhead on the market ( dependability is the key )... Buddy told me that Cabelas makes a money back 30 day risk free mechanical that he has had good luch with.

Any comments or help appreciated.
Mississippi Redneck
Old 10-17-2005, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mechanical Broadheads vs Fixed - Which one's Point of Contact is Closest to Field Tips ???

I have used both the Rocky Mtn. snyper and the spitfires with good success. HOWEVER, does your set-up have enough energy to have good penetration with them? And is your bow in tune? Is there an under lying reason that you can't get fixed heads to hit the same POI as your practice points? Have you checked and double checked every thing with your bow and arrows to insure that there is not anything out of whack? If your arrows aren't flying well, mechs. aren't going to penetrate as well as they should!
Did you paper tune, at least, to insure that your arrows aren't fish tailing off the bow?
Old 10-17-2005, 06:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Mechanical Broadheads vs Fixed - Which one's Point of Contact is Closest to Field Tips ???

Well 9 times out of 10 if your broadheads are not grouping with, or at least very close, to your field tips then your bow is not tuned like it should be. IMHO mechanical broadheads arre a bandaid that only covers up a more serious problem with your set up.

Montecs are a very accurate broadhead and if your bow is tuned properly then there is no reason that they shouldn't shoot to the same POI as your field tips.

The best of both worlds lies in a well tuned bow and a good fixed blade broadhead known for its flight characteristics and durability . Such as the montec, stinger, slick trick, etc....
Old 10-17-2005, 06:48 PM

Thanks guys - I think both of you are right. I need to drive to a city where I can have a professional assist me in a real bow tuning. My local merchant is a really good guy but his suggextion to my problem was change the fletching length from 4" to 2.25" and my problems would go away... Well we all know the answer to that $40.00 mistake.. Thanks for the feedback and I will in fact listen to you guys. Why bandaid a problem that could cost me a trophy... Fix the problem and then I can focus on what is at the other end of my sight pattern..

Have a good evening and thanks for the continued support.

Good Hunting, Mark
Old 10-18-2005, 03:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.broadheadtests.com/TUNING.html
http://www.broadheadtests.com/MECHANICALVSFIXED.html

These two links should help you out.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:15 PM

Did you say hunt your wife's boyfriend on the weekend??If so i say forget the bow and use the P226.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:53 PM

I had the same problem until the Aftershock Hypershock 100's found their way into my quiver. They are brutal on deer and fly true.