Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 single pin adjustable vs. multi pin >

single pin adjustable vs. multi pin

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

single pin adjustable vs. multi pin

Old 10-10-2005, 02:04 AM

Default single pin adjustable vs. multi pin

thats pretty much it. i dont like having a ton of pins but want more range than just 3. i'm selling everything i have right now as a package and starting over fresh this winter.

does anyone have any opinions one way or the other on these 2 types of sights? i've never used an adjustable before but am interested in trying one out.

thanks in advance.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: single pin adjustable vs. multi pin

I've gone full circle on a lot of this stuff over the last 3 decades. Fixed pin, adjustable, and even pendelums. What I'm going to explain is based on actual shooting experience on the practice range at spots and 3D targets. Multi pins are OK if you need longer ranges out west and don't have time to adjust a sight. But I live in Pa. where most shots are 30 yards or less. I use a single pin slider (HHA OL-5000)now and for several reasons.
Bows today have eveolved into some decently speedy critters. Speeds in hunting bows are commonly around 260fps or more. With the slider set at 25 yards I have shot at various yardages to check POI. At about 18 yards it hits a high point of about 1 1/2" high. The low point of about 3" is at 32 yards. This allows me to shoot anything inside 30 yards with no holding low or high, just the middle of the vitals. No guessing yardage or thinking about which pin to use. Just pick the one in front of you, aim, and shoot. The only thing to think about is whether the deer is within 30 yards. With one pin the sight picture is nice and clean so you see more of your animal.
It has the versatility of being able to be adjusted for target or 3D shooting, or practicing at longer distances, again, without picking the wrong pin.
I've used several pendelum sights over the last couple years and find they are not all that fullproof. Most shot almost exactly as explained for my slider. Low shots were common at the longer distances. And moving parts just turn me off. Plus, I'm just not into plastic on a sight after a few mishaps.
These results were obtained with a bow shooting 264fps at the time---a couple years ago.

So, this being my results I've come to several conclusions, all explained above. The other thing I would explain is that I will not scrimp on accessories on a bow. The sight I have cost $100. But it's cheaper in the long run than some of the plastic junk floating around that costs just about as much and will rattle itself apart, or break when I drop my bow out of a treestand.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

I still prefer a 3 pin fixed sight though I can see how the simplicity of a single pin adjustable attracts many folks.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can see where you'd recommend a single pin slider, and know your yardages, but if you're gonna do that why not just go for a single fixed pin. What I would do is buy a multiple pin sight. AND YES I HAVE USED A MOVABLE SLIDER, and I hated it. You're not gonna move your sight when you have deer walking around you, it's just not gonna happen.

If I were you I'd take a good hard look at a Vital Bow Gear 3 pin or 5 pin sight. I love the verticle pins, and It works fantastic for me. It's by far the best sight i've used and I couldn't be more happy. Plus the pins are the brightest pins on the market, no doubt about it. The fiver optics are enclosed in thick plastic that won't break, trust me i've field tested this sucker hard. And the fiber optics are downright incredible. I have no complaints it's the best sights i've ever used. I'd give it a try.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

die hard,

You are correct. I am not going to adjust the sight in the presence of any deer. I have it preset for 25 yards and leave it. Set at this setting my bow shoots about 1 1/2" high at 20 yards and 3" low at about 32 yards. This means I don't have to predetermine distances or anything else. All I have to determine is whether a deer is within 30 yards and if so just aim at the middle of the vitals and make the best shot I can. An inch high or 3" low gives the same results.
About the only time I change it is if I'm in thicker cover where 25 yards might be a long shot. In this case I set it for 20 yards. Again, if you think I'm worrying about that last inch of accuracy---well, it ain't gonna happen.

This sight also has the versatility of being used for practice at yardages exceeding 60 yards or 3D shooting where I DO have time to adjust it more precisely. I shoot my bows year round. Hunting is the off-season for me.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

You are correct. I am not going to adjust the sight in the presence of any deer. I have it preset for 25 yards and leave it. Set at this setting my bow shoots about 1 1/2" high at 20 yards and 3" low at about 32 yards.
I think that is a realistic setting for most of today's setups. I know of many folks who actually take a multiple pin sight and just turn into into a single pin sight at there bows are shooting flat enough to be able to basically shoot one pin out to about 30-32 yards.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:27 PM

I agree 100% with BGFisher, I swithched this spring to the HHA ol- 5500. A little expensive 119.99 from cabelas. But I feel it was money well spent. I also sight in at 25 yards dead on, and no worries. Want to talk about brightness, the pin is fueled by five foot of fiber optic. Also it comes with an adjustable rheostat to cover up the fiber optic when your in the sun to tone down the brightness, so you don't have the star burst effect. I love it. previousely I used fixed pins also. But this new sight great.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried the HHA single pin but ended up going back to the multi pin sight. I just didn't feel comfortable with a single pin. It was great for target or practice but in the woods I just didn't have confidence in it. After a year of trying I switched back to a multi pin.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a HHA on a slider. The only 2 negatives I've found are if you needed to adjust it fast for a deer walking away, OR if your hunting in a tree with ample cover. If you have multiple pins you can use the other pins to see if your arrow will clear a branch. IE if the hole in the brush is 10 yards away, you can use your 10 yard pin to aim with, and it will shoot through the hole and into the deer.If a deer was 30 yards away and there were ample limbs 10 yards away, you aim with your 30 pin on the deer, and check the limbs with your 10 to see if it'll clear. Long winded and probably doesnt make since, but it works.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:51 PM

well there's my problem. i have my current bow maxxed out and its only throwing them around 242 fps. if i step up to something faster and can use 1 pin out to 32 yards or so, but have the extra range for 3D's and whatnot, i'd be satisfied.

thanks guys.

Quick Reply: single pin adjustable vs. multi pin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.