Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

single pin adjustable vs. multi pin

Old 10-12-2005, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: single pin adjustable vs. multi pin

bk,

Maybe you just need an excuse to get something new, but first tell us about your setup. Everything. Maybe you're getting 242fps for some very logical reasons. And it may not be just a slow bow.
Very often I can take a customer's bow and get 20-50fps more out of it than they are getting. Many people don't know how to tweak their setup for speed.

That being said, you're gonna do what you're gonna do, BUT till that time you could probably do pretty well with two pins to finish out the year. 15 and 25 yards might work well if you don't feel comfortable with more or you could go with a 20 and 30 yard pins.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:35 PM

well i'll tell you what i know. itsa fred bear epic extreme from the first year they came out (2000 i think). i bought it used from someone i used to live with in MD just to get into bowhunting without the cost of new stuff. i took it to the shop and they set it up to fit me and never told me any of the measurements. the only things i can tell you that might help is that i have a WB rest and gold tip 5575 shafts. it shoots very accurately, just not all that fast and the last time i had it in they told me that the draw weight couldnt be increased any more.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not picking on you, but just trying to give a little education. Shops do not set up and take measurements on bows. They set them to certain accepted standards that work fairly ell with most bows. All bows then need to be TUNED to shoot the arrows you have. That is your job, and if you don't know how then ask and learn.

Measurements are your responsiblity also. The reason you take them is so you can tell if something changes, and in the event you eventually start doing your own work you'll understand why taking measurements is important.

I'll givce you some "sage" advice at this time, being as you haven't learned much about tweaking. Be satisfied with what you have. 242 fps isn't all that slow. It's not fast, but certtainly not slow. And if the bow draws smoothly, is quiet for hunting, and accurate for you then just shoot it. One of the best hunting bows I've had in over 30 years of bowhunting was a Golden Eagle Litespeed that shot 237fps at 61 lbs. But man was that bow ever quiet and forgiving.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:12 PM

fair enough. what needs to be done to tune a bow for a set of arrows?
Old 10-14-2005, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

bk,

I could write a book on bow/arrow tuning, but it's already been done for me. Go to www.eastonarhery.com and download their Tuning Guide. And read it first before you go tinkering. It gives basic info on how to set up bows and then goes through several tuning procedures from basic to very fine tuning. It's fairly detailed at times, but you'll learn a lot about the proper terminology and what it means.

One thing to pay attention to, especially if you get to paper tuning. Read the last paragraph on page 7. Sometimes release shootes get opposite results from the norm. Not to get into detail I'll just say remember it.

Once a bow/arrow combo is well tuned you'd be amazed at how much better your groups can get, especially when you start getting more consistent shooting form. Once you learn some of this stuff then you can start working more on speed. I'm still ealrning little tricks even after shooting compounds for 32 years. It's fun.

A just for further info, when I started shooting compounds the average was 180-190fps and 200fps was extremely fast. Somewhere in the last 30 years we've gained 60-100fps on those figures.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:14 AM

Well, it looks like bk has already made up his mind but I also agree with BG. I use a HHA OL-5000 which I have since turned into a OL-5019 with the smaller pin. I should have just ordered the OL-5019 in the first place and saved $55. This is by far the best site I have ever owned. It is the sturdiest and has the brightest pin. My Bowtech flings arrows out at 293 FPS so arrow trajectory isn't a concern of mine. It's set to 1" high at 20 and 2" low at 30 yards. I do use the slide at the range when shooting out to 60 yards but keep it at 20 when hunting. I just like not having to worry about which pin to use. Just aim and shoot.

BK, 242 is plenty fast out of an accurate bow. My first bow shot 180's and I killed several deer with it. Was also pretty accurate out to 60 yards but it did have a heck of an arc to it.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:17 AM

ive been shooting with a sightmaster adjustable sight (which i can and have changed yardage while a deer was in sight) and i have just 1 meprolite pin on the sight, and i have no problems. the last deer i took with this setup was at 36 yrds, and she went 60 yrds and died a double lung hit, i would never even think about a multi pinned sight again,, oh and this is with a pse nova with WB rest and shooting pse 400 arrows and muzzy 75 grain heads, the bow has been shot through 3 different chronos and every time it shoots at between 266 to 268 not bad for a pse nova, ive taken 9 deer with this setup and every single deer never made it to the 100 yrd mark after being hit,,,
Old 10-20-2005, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Both sights have their advantages and disadvantages. With the movable sight the advantage goes to a single focal point. The negative is adjusting the sight to the correct yardage quickly or in low light. With a fixed pin sight you have more pins that are set on a specific yardage and by gapping two of the pins, an accurate split yardage reference. The negative, sighting on the wrong pin for the shot.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:06 PM

Adjustable/Slider sight is just what I need, just like a hole in my head. More moving part/more things to go wrong. A multi-pin sight is the only logical way to go. Practice with your bows and picking a pin will be natural and accurate as sh$t. If we would just practice like we are suppose to we would become leathal with our equipment. Try a Trophy Ridge Micro Matrix .029. Well made and field proven.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

cravingame, you really need to take a look at the PLASTIC sight you are using and compare it to an HHA OL 5000. I think you'll find that your's has about three times as many potential problem spots---screws and loints that can come loose or just plain rattle apart, not to mention the plastic adjusters and plastic pins that I have seen break. I guarantee this can't happen with an OL-5000unless maybe you drive your truck over it, in which case the bow would get more damage than the sight. At any rate HHA would replace it, no questions asked.

I'm not dictationg that everyone, you included should shoot one, but if comparing one against another then you should actually study each before making rash statements.

Believe me, I have very tight criteria that I follow for picking sights, and plastic is not in the description.

Quick Reply: single pin adjustable vs. multi pin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.