Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Ground blinds

Old 10-06-2005, 10:23 AM

Default Ground blinds

i bought a ground blind for deer hunting and i was just wondering if anyone here uses them and if they work good at all. also do u guys leave them out in the field
Old 10-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Ground blinds

Yes, I use them for archery but, no, I don't leave them out in the field but rather take them in and pack them out the same time I use them. I have found that leaving many blinds out for extended periods of time really allows the fabric to fade. If you have it really brushed in then I don't suppose it matters much though.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:32 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

Yes, I use them for archery but, no, I don't leave them out in the field but rather take them in and pack them out the same time I use them. I have found that leaving many blinds out for extended periods of time really allows the fabric to fade. If you have it really brushed in then I don't suppose it matters much though.
Me too , once the deer try to "stare it down" and don't see it move they usually just forget about it . I've only had them spook and bolt a few times , and even then they sometimes came back out of curiosity . Smarter older bucks will spot it and sneak away if you don't hide it well unless the blind has been left up for awhile .
Old 10-06-2005, 07:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Had that very situation happen tonight Kevin. A doe stared the blind down for a good five minutes and then didn't seem to give it another thought. Knowing how weary whitetails are I am surprised they act the way they do around ground blinds.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can never get them folded up.Like wrestling with a alligator.Dont need that hassle in the woods.the noise and the cursing scars everything away
Old 10-07-2005, 04:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

There is a trick to it. It almost is like something you just have to let go and not force. I had a good laugh at one of my buddies as he spent about 20 minutes trying to get his folded up before asking for help.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:33 PM
Typical Buck

t2 here and i would be scared someone would steal it. i have had deer pick it out and actually come to it to see what it was. this happened last year. another time i rattled a buck in and he had not idea i was there...walked right by the blind at 18yds...cooked a ground hog at 30yds in a horse pasture last fall hunting foxes run by it. i did have a deer spot it once and walk off to the left side at 30 yds, but i was in the middle of some corn, so i guess i stood out i could have stopped her and taken a shot...but i didnt. the blinds by double bull are pretty good.
there is a good one on sale at dicks this week for $124
Old 10-09-2005, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had decent results hunting from ground blinds on all but fully mature bucks. It seems to be my experience that mature trophy bucks more times than not just won't buy them! They seem to have an uncanny knack for picking them out and then staying just out of range. I have had very good luck on Does and lesser bucks, had I chose to shoot them. As far as leaving them out.... no way, that's the advantage of pop-up blinds, being able to walk in and set them up without the deer knowing that they are there.... the element of surprise. Also, as noted, the material will seem to fade plus the price of each of my Doubles Bulls (Matrix and T5)is a bit steep to just leave them out there. Good luck and good huntin'