Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Remember my cheap Wal-Mart target?? >

Remember my cheap Wal-Mart target??

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Remember my cheap Wal-Mart target??

Old 10-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Remember my cheap Wal-Mart target??

Hey there... Remember my posts a while back where I bought that cheap 24x24x12 styrofoam target thing at Wal-Mart. I posted a few photos of it with some broadheads sticking in it, etc...

Well, it is done. It lasted about, what, maybe 2 months - not even... Word to the wise.... save your money and get a Block 4X4 or something way better than a $15 cheap styrofoam target.

The 2 broadheads that I shoot (Magnus Stingers and Slick Tricks) tore the thing up! The Stingers sliced it up good, and the Slick Tricks? OMG... they busted big chunks out of it!

I'm scared to even shoot a field point at it... It's going in the trash. I'm going to look at the Block 4x4 and check them out.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remember my cheap Wal-Mart target??

tip: only shoot your broadheads to see how they fly.. once you know they fly good after you made adjustments etc switch back to feild points
Old 10-03-2005, 06:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

I bought a McKenzie carbon block specifically for shooting broadheads and it didn't last any longer than thee styrofoam target you have. I thought the four side shooting would have it lasting a little longer than a two side target but it got shreaded by the broadheads. I paid $69 a couple years ago and you paid $15. I'd say you did good.

Shooting broadheads constantly into any target, regardless of how or what it is made of, will destroy it in about the same ammount of time.

Old 10-03-2005, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

True, true... I used it to get my broadheads tested and get myself all ready and geared up for bow season. Broadheads will destroy any target over time, but this thing is all busted up bad. The Slick Tricks punched huge holes in it like it was shot with 00 Buckshot or a 1oz Slug! Talk about a hard hitting broadhead!

Old 10-03-2005, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Broadheads rip the heck out of everything. I shoot each once then they are all field points. I don't care what target you have.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:30 PM

For broadheads the new Cabelas MDL target is really good. Will outlast the block or yellow jacket!
Old 10-05-2005, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really like my WalMart 4x4 target, I have well over 100 broadhead shots into it and it is in excellent condition. Last year I had one of the bigger styrofoam WalMart targets and it was shot out in well under 50 broadhead shots. The 4x4 only cost $27 too, so it is much cheaper than the morrell, mckenzie, block, or yellowjacket type targets. I only use mine for broadheads and broadhead tuning though, for regular field point shooting I always shoot at a bag because it is easier to pull and has lots less wear.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:53 PM

what target was it,,,,if it is the one i think it has plastic around the outside of it,,,and no it is not for BH it is just for field tips,,,but even still it does last long i was punching though it in spots after a 100 shots or so,,,and that was with alum arrows out of a 60" bow,,,
Old 10-06-2005, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Agree with rick about my 4 x 4 from wal mart.

The absolute best target in terms of durability are the huge styrofoam cubes. I think mine is 6' x 4' and I bought it about 8 years ago for $25 at a flea market.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well, it is done. It lasted about, what, maybe 2 months - not even... Word to the wise.... save your money and get a Block 4X4 or something way better than a $15 cheap styrofoam target.
Excellent advice. You pay for it in the long run.

Quick Reply: Remember my cheap Wal-Mart target??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.