Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 considering getting into bow hunting, need help with gear >

considering getting into bow hunting, need help with gear

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

considering getting into bow hunting, need help with gear

Old 09-13-2005, 10:31 PM

Default RE: considering getting into bow hunting, need help with gear

Welcome to the world of achery. Keep us updated.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:46 PM

Default RE: considering getting into bow hunting, need help with gear

well I stopped at the last local archery shop in town today, and he talked a lot about making sure the equipment fit the user, and his business ethics of making sure the two were a good match...he has a bowtech Tomkat package that goes for 470.....all I'd need to add on would be a release and some arrows...whatch'yall think about that? He didn't have one for me to try, other than a lefty that was unkowingly set at 72lb. DW...so I didn't try it for fear of it slipping out of my fingers or something [&:]... but holding it, felt really nice.

I can't find anyone nearby that carries Pearson in stock, so I dont think I'll get to try that line....I've got one more place to go check out that's about 30+ miles away, so gonna have to wait on that one...ahh hell it's a nice day, I might skip outta work and go!

*back*
well I got my hands on a couple more......the Martin Sabre, Bowtech Tomkat, Diamond Rapture, anda few Pearson models. Pearsons are most likely out of my price range but doable....I did like the Bowtech, seemed very nice to draw, same with the Rapture and Sabre...Hard to tell the differences between them without any experience, but I think I'd rate them 1)Tomkat 2) Sabre 3) Rapture.

The Tomkat package they quoted me is just a bit above my budget, but after talking to the guy for a while, and hearing him say thata lot of cool stuff is supposed to come out with the 06 model year, that I might wait till they come out, either to see what the new technologies provide, and to see what kind of closeout deals I might find.

so I might put this purchase on hold for a few months, maybe not, just gonna sit on it for a bit, and read my catalogs...probably go home and shoot my buddies Matthews and check that out...Thanks to everyone for the continued help and advice..I appreciate it, and will keep reading the boards to see what's new...should I decide to purchase, I'll be sure to let ya'll know.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:36 PM

Default RE: more testing

Well I was able to shoot a Hoyt Ultramag and the Pearson Diamondback today...the diamondback was used, but no biggy...I really liked the Ultramag, it felt really smooth all the way through the draw, and shooting was very nice. I think it's at the top of my list now, which I think I've narrowed down to:

- Hoyt Ultramag
- Botech Tomkat
- Matthews FX2

I haven't chosen those brands on their top-tier status or anything, just what has felt best to me. The Ultramag was very smooth throughout, the Tomkat was smoothe on the shot with no handshock/very little if any vibration, but didn't seem as easy to draw to me for some reason. I liked the FX2 because it's a "meat 'n potatoes" bow that was pretty easy on the draw and release as well....but I do have to shoot it again, it's been a while and can't quite remember how it felt after shooting all these others

Right now, I'm really leaning towards that Ultramag, but am going to wait till the new year stuff comes out, to see the new stuff, and any deals that may be had on last year models. Thanks to everybody for the comments and advice..IT IS VERY TRUE WHEN YA'LL SAY "GO OUT AND SHOOT A LOT OF EM BEFORE YOU BUY" you're feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: more testing

I'd opt for the Bowtech Tomkat. Just a personal opinion. Please Please Please for the sake of all bowhunters who care about this type of hunting DO NOT go to wal-mart for advice or gear. Just make sure you hit the pro-shop. If you go to a pro-shop I don't think you can go wrong.