Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 considering getting into bow hunting, need help with gear >

considering getting into bow hunting, need help with gear

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

considering getting into bow hunting, need help with gear

Old 09-08-2005, 06:01 PM

Default considering getting into bow hunting, need help with gear

Hi all,

I originally posted this in the Hunting Gear Review forum, before I realized this forum was here too....Long time reader, with only a few posts under my belt, but wanted to try and gather some consumer opinions on bow hunting gear. I'm thinking about getting into it for next year's season (kinda too late to get practice in and set up for this year).

I don't know anything about what features to look for, manufacturers to consider/avoid, add-ons are 'must haves', and what aspects are dependent upon myself (body type, draw, etc)...etc....so I'm hoping to get some good feedback here.

I'm 6' 185lbs, average strength I guess you could say, I can bench more than my bodyweight anyway ... I'm not one to rush out and get the latest and greatest...I'd rather have solid, reliable equipment, but it's always good to be informed about what new features really improve the experience.

I appreciate your time to reply, thanks.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:20 PM

Default RE: considering getting into bow hunting, need help with gear

Check out www.huntersfriend.com they have a pretty goodpage on bow selection. Left hand side of the page under Articles & Help"bow selection guide"

The big things to look for are a high brace height and longer axle to axle, these two things will make the bow more forgiving. Just as a warning watch out for the hype, I bought into it a few years ago and got screwed. I am only 5'9" and tried shooting a short 30" ATA bow andcould never get a decent group over 30 yds. The short ATA bow was the"must have" hype at the time I got it,but I have noticed others must have found the same thing since many of the new "musthave" bows are longer ATA again. The "must have" and the "best bow ever"are all relative and change too quickly for any sane person to keep up with. I bought a longer ATA bow with a shorter brace height and still get better group than I ever got with the short ATA bow.
I would beware of the hype and get what you like, it is really personal preference. The best advice is go out and shoot every bow you can get your hands on and get the one that fells best to you.

Your budget will usually narrow the field quite quickly. I had a low budget and two bows I shot that really stood out to me were, The Reflex Buckskin and Diamond Rapture. Both were very reasonably priced and shot great for me.
I just bought my new bow a few months ago on clearance. I have really enjoyed shooting it. The bow and specs are in my signature I lucked out and got a great deal or I would have got the Diamond Rapture.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

For bows and arrows and all the things that go with it I would suggest you go to a local proshop ( or shops) for a look around. If they'll let you then shoot as many bows as you can to see how they feel to you. One thing I'll warn you about concserning compound bows. Get the drawlength right. If the draw doesn't fit then nothing else about that particular bow matters. At 6" your optimum draw is going to be right at about 29". 60# is enough to kill any animal walking this continent so don't go overboard with weight. You don't want to be struggling with a bow while learning to shoot it.

As with any discipline (golf, baseball, etc) there are basic things you learn called form. How you place your feet, address the ball, hold the club. All that goofy stuff. Archery is no different. Learn good shooting form. Ask others later if need be. Join a local club where there is a place to shoot and make new friends. Good shooters at clubs are always willing to help.

That's all for now. More help when you really need it. OH yeh, being as you are NEW? Stay away from Wally-world stuff. You need hands-on help.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:58 PM

Thanks Utah and BG, for the helpful insight.

after reading a bunch at huntersfriend.com, I measured my armspan out to 75.5"....when calculated came out to a hair over 30". with that, and some basic deductions based on what I read, I was looking at their 'ready to hunt' bow packages, and thought that packages #3, 4, & 5 fell into my line of what I would be looking for.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowpkg2.htm

I don't think it's necessary for me to look beyond their standard bow packages, so I may hit my local gander mountain or sportsman's warehouse tomorrow and see what they have, talk to some people etc...of the packages at the url above, what do you think of those 3 packages? (both positive and negative comments welcome)

thanks again, I appreciate the help in getting this rookie up to speed on things
Old 09-09-2005, 09:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Buckfu,
I have a piece of junk. One fellow told me on here if it is properly set up it will work. I went to a bow store and for 20.00 he turned my piece of junk into an incrediable bow. I'm shooting coffee mug groups now and I'm ready. I have an old Darton someone gave me. I love it. My advice shooot carbons. They go real straight.I also shoot 100 grain target and broadheads.
Chuck

PS Also I've had awesome groups shootin gSteel Force broadheads.They are expensive but are supere straight.

Go to a good bow shop. I found an awesome one. I also have also been to rip off ones. Look atround . The guys on here are awesome.They will help you.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:47 AM

heh, thanks chuck...that's basically what I'm gettin at, I don't really need the fandagliest new bow on the market, I'm just looking for something that will be reliable in the field, easy to maneuver with...etc..I've found a few smaller non-chain stores in the area, and plan on visiting a few and getting some hands on experience..

thanks for the thoughts on arrows, will definitely keep it in mind.

I imagine these same questions have been asked over and over, but I appreciate ya'lls time to respond.

Old 09-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Buckfu

Walmart has top notch arrows. They are high now but will go down to a couple of bucks after archery season. I shoot the 6075 Terminators. 6.00 a piece 31 " The number one deal is to get it properly set up/ tuned. They have stuff now that makes any body look like a pro. Some of the things I like is the following
1. Peep sight ...3.00
2. Decent rest they will install. 20.00 for my type of bow.
3. Cable guard to keep the cables out of the way of the fletchings when you shoot.20.00
4. String nock loop. My man put it on for free.
5. Quick release. They Work!! 25.00
Must have good arrows. 6.00 a piece.
Sights 30.00
Yeah archery can be expensive. My bow was a freebee but probably cost new at 200.00
But ....you get alot of extra scouting and hunting in. And who knows you may even get one.
Count the cost my friend and see if it's worth it. Many of these guys spend much more than I .This was the cheap man's version.
Chuck
Old 09-09-2005, 02:39 PM

Try this site. www.archerytalk.com
It's all about archery.
Joe
Old 09-09-2005, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ill sell you .. 2month old sight/brand new rest 45 toyour door ill send uyou picks if your interested
Old 09-10-2005, 10:01 PM

Iwould stay away from the Baby G #5it would not be a great first bow. It has a pretty short brace height. The other two if you look are almost identicle because PSE makes all Browning bows.

I would recommend you get you bow from a local pro shop so they can set it up for you. There is alot to setting up a bow with peep location draw length many things you will not get when purchasing one over the internet. The money you save by getting one over the internet will most likely get eaten up quickly and two foldwhen you need help and advice. Nothing is more frustrating that when you cant get a new bow shoot right or even an old bow for that matter.

I see further down three bows I really like when I shot them #7, 10 and 11. The Diamond #11 would be my first choice wiht the Tomkat as my secong choice. But I would again highly recommend seeing what you can get locally, the support you get is worth more than you could save.

Quick Reply: considering getting into bow hunting, need help with gear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.