Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Smoking Scent Stix

Old 08-25-2005, 06:00 AM

Default Smoking Scent Stix

Has any body tried any type of the smoking scent sticks? I see there are a couple different brands available. I tried some about 5 years ago, and I had some does and fawns come in for acorns, and then they played around with the scent stick a little. I was thinking about trying some again, and just curious what people think of them.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Smoking Scent Stix

My experiences mirror your own. Limited interest on most occasions. Nothing that would make me jump right on the scent stick bandwagon. The theory behind it sounds great but I have not found them to be more effective than regular scent distribution methods when used properly.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

I have used them for about 3 years and had more luck just using part "A" with the bucket. I had both does and two nice 8 pointers come in during the early muzzeloader season in Penna.in the last 3 years. Only allowed to shoot does during this time. Not much luck using both part "A" & "B" together in the late season..
Old 08-25-2005, 07:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I used the Tinks sticks last year and had about 8 does come in from cross wind heading to a green field and when they got to where they could smell the sticks it was like they ran into an invisible wall. They stoped cold and stomped their feet and walked back and forth for about five minutes trying to figure out what that smell was. Finally they decided that they didn't like the smell and blew and ran off.

They weren't immediately alarming to these does but they certainly didn't like the smell.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:47 PM

I used them one time and the time i used them it was a down pour, and thought i would give them a try,with the bucket, I used both A&B, I watched the smoke carry and was really woundering if this was a mistake,they had burned awhile and i noticed the smoke had quite, All of a sudden i noticed a nice 6 pointer and a doe comming into this clearing and watched the buck as he smelled something he was more interested in the smell then the doe, As i watched the buck i did notice that it seemed to hold him in the area a bit. I passed the shot because it was the first day of a two day hunt,and never saw another buck the rest of the time, some i dont know if the sticks worked or were they just passing through anyway, that was the only time i used them so iam not real sure if i was even useing them right or not?
Old 08-26-2005, 08:55 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-26-2005, 08:59 AM

I used them two seasons ago with deer showing no interest in them at all. Maybe even scared them away a bit.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

I got a buck during firearms season last year over one. I was using both sticks, not Tinks the other one.
Anyway, I'd tried them before & saw zero deer but this day a buck came in to my right about 65 yards away & got by me. Its pretty thick where I was & I had no shot. He walked around a small hill the smoke had been blowing over & once down wind came right over the top heading right for the bucket. I could be wrong because he never made it but I believe he was heading right for it. My guess is its an iffy thing. Its pretty potent smelling & anything like that might bring a deer in or scare it away.
Mine said in the destructions it might spook does with fawns.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

It seems that deer all show very different reactions tho smoke scents. I've seen deer trot right up to them and I've seen deer hit the scent and act as if they were kicked in the face. I have shot a few Does that came right in to the "buckett". I also have a buddy that has taken 2 P&Y class animals that came in lip curling to the smoke. In most instances we found better results burning Part A along with Part B. Rutragous doesn't seem to work as nice. Also, for a special note, the Tinks sticks ARE MADE by Deer Sense just a different label. This fact I know because I was responsible for "testing" them that season to see how the deer around here acted. They sent me the proto-type sticks and a proto-type buckett to test.

For the record though, the results are simply to inconsistent to use in any and all hunting conditions. But they are fun to play with on Doe hunts.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

I'm a newbee here, but I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents
about the smokin scents.

I have had very good luck with the Tinks kind.
I've taken a couple nice bucks,and a few does.
What I find funny though is that the does came right in to the smoke!! I didn't use the bucket thing and the smoke was trailing,
and the came to it while it was smoking(about a foot or so away!!)
The bucks on the other hand came in like the other poster said,
lips curled !!
I use them with much luck so far.
Last year I tried something off the wall,I coated them with Tinks69
and let them dry out in the sun on a cookie sheet.
I took a 10 point with one of those "treated"sticks ,maybe it was just luck,maybe not!!
I'm going to try again this year

Quick Reply: Smoking Scent Stix

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.