Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

scent loc jacket and pants

Old 08-21-2005, 08:12 AM

Default scent loc jacket and pants

when you first buy scent loc should you wash any of this stuff or just throw it in dryer to reactivate? and what does everybody wash it with if they do? ive always just reactivate it in dryer.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:15 AM

Default RE: scent loc jacket and pants

I'm not real sure, but I beleave you don't wash that stuff. When you put it in the dryer, put it in there with like one of those sent away dryer sheets to take any smell out of them
Old 08-21-2005, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

When you first buy it just follow the instructions. No need to wash it but you do need to throw it in the dryer to activate it. Just make sure you put it into some sort of air tight bag or container once it's done that way it won't start absorbing scent/odors.

As for washing them, I use Robinson's detergent made specifically for cleaning carbon clothing. Scent Blocker and Scent Away also make similar products.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Youdon't wash it unless absolutely neccessary, ie. covered with blood or mud. Just throw in the dryer. Washing will eventually take out the pattern, I wash once a year if that. You have to use liquid carbon wash. Powdered washes will clog the charcoal I believe.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:25 AM
Dominant Buck

If you've already purchased the garment does it smell like the store where you bought it or have a "new clothing" smell ? If so , wash it in unscented detergent of your choice and air dry it outside where it won't pick up too much smell . Don't waste your time trying to"reactivate" it in your dryer , the dryer will never get hot enough to do that .

If you haven't purchased them yet I'd search some of the other ScentLok/activated carbon related threads on these forums before investing that kind of cash . You'll quickly find what a waste of money they are and why . They are a temporary solution at best , and a very expensive one .
Old 08-24-2005, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

Just curious, Kevin1 have you ever owned a carbon activated suit? Your always quick to bash them, but if you've never owned one, your opinion is worthless. I have owned several, along with the members of our club, and we all swear by them.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:22 PM

I have not had scent loc but scent blocker has a big red sticker on it that says to wash it before using.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:21 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Avalanche

Just curious, Kevin1 have you ever owned a carbon activated suit? Your always quick to bash them, but if you've never owned one, your opinion is worthless. I have owned several, along with the members of our club, and we all swear by them.
Not ScentLok brand , but yes I do . Army issue MOPP suits contain more carbon than any ScentLok suit , and they do work temporarily but not as long as ScentLok would have you believe . They also won't contain all scent since some will always escape through openings such as the neck , wrists , and ankles . I throw mine away after a maximum of two weeks use . Look up the other threads on the subject with replies from those familiar with activated carbon , they aren't trying to market a product , ScentLok is .

I haven't once said that their product doesn't work , I'm simply saying don't believe everything you're told by anyone selling something . IMO their products just aren't worth what they cost , you can do much better much cheaper . The suits I useare 1/10th the cost or even less and provide better protection at a vastly lower cost because that's exactly what they are designed to do and nothing more . They aren't paying for license fees or slick ads , and profit doesn't enter the picture . Is it bulletproof? No . Does it significantly reduce my odor to where I seem much further away to the deer ? I believe so based on my own experiences . Is it long lasting ? Definitely not . Can you "regenerate" it ?Not in a dryer .

I've seen a video where they tested those suits with volunteers wearing them and hiding in big boxes in an open field . The vols bathed and otherwise performed a meticulous scent reduction routine as if they were going hunting . Dogs were then turned loose looking specifically for the individual volunteer's scent . Dog's can't process near the number of odors that a whitetail can , yet they found their man every single time .
Draw your own conclusion .
Old 08-28-2005, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

At the risk of being bashed,I'm going to kindaagree with Kevin1.
I also use a military chem suit,they ARE cheeper and produce the same results.
I also have noticed a BIG diff wearing them as to regular camo.
I just wash with No Scent wash,and dry,then it goes in a space bag( the kind
you vaccum seal.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you haven't purchased them yet I'd search some of the other ScentLok/activated carbon related threads on these forums before investing that kind of cash . You'll quickly find what a waste of money they are and why . They are a temporary solution at best , and a very expensive one .
Here we go AGAIN. Let it go man. It's his money. Let him spend it like he wants. Just because you don't think it works, doesn't mean that it doesn't. Jeeeesh.

To answer your question, never put any kind of scent wafer or anything in the back with your suit. It can or will reduce the odor adsorbing capability of your suit.

Quick Reply: scent loc jacket and pants

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.